1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find min. speed and direction of velocity, given parametric eqns

1. Nov 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hockey puck of radius 1 slides along the ice at a speed 10 in the direction of the vector (1,1). As it slides, it spins in a counterclockwise direction at 2 revolutions per unit time. At time t = 0, the puck’s center is at the origin (0,0).

Find the parametric equations for the trajectory of the point P on the edge of the puck initially at (1,0).

radius = R = 1
    frequency = f = 2
    angular frequency = w = 2πf = 4π
    θ = wt

Thus, I found r(t) = (cos4πt + 5sqrt2t, sin4πt + 5sqrt2t)

Now that I have the equation of the trajectory, how do I find the minimum speed of the point P, and the direction of the velocity at the corresponding time?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Velocity: v(t) = (-4πsin4πt + 5sqrt2, 4πcos4πt + 5sqrt2)
    v’(t) = (-16π2cos4πt, -16π2sin4πt) = 0

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2
    The puck is rotating so its acceleration is never zero; however it is easy to guess that the speed of P is extremized when the speed due to rotation is to the same direction as the linear movement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook