Find Min Value: $a,b,c>0$ with $a+b+c=k$

In summary, the purpose of finding the minimum value of $a,b,c$ with $a+b+c=k$ is to determine the smallest possible combination of values that still satisfy the equation. This is significant because it ensures a physically meaningful solution and eliminates nonsensical values. The minimum value can be found through mathematical techniques or trial and error. If there is no minimum value, it means the equation is not solvable with the given constraints. This problem can also be solved for non-integer values as long as the given values are greater than 0 and the equation is solvable.
Albert1
$a,b,c>0$

$a+b+c=k$

find:$min(\sqrt{a^2+b^2}+\sqrt{b^2+c^2}+\sqrt{c^2+a^2})$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
My Solution:

Given \(\displaystyle a+b+c = k\) and \(\displaystyle a,b,c>0\)

Now we can write \(\displaystyle \sqrt{a^2+b^2} = \left|a+ib\right|\) and \(\displaystyle \sqrt{b^2+c^2} = \left|b+ic\right|\) and \(\displaystyle \sqrt{c^2+a^2} = \left|c+ia\right|\)

Where \(\displaystyle i=\sqrt{-1}\) So Using Triangle Inequality of Complex number

\(\displaystyle \left|a+ib\right|+\left|b+ic\right|+\left|c+ia\right|\geq \left|\left(a+b+c\right)+i\left(b+c+a\right)\right| = \left|k+ik\right|=\sqrt{2}k\)

and equality hold when \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \frac{a}{b} = \frac{b}{c} = \frac{c}{a}\)

Last edited by a moderator:
jacks said:
My Solution:

Given \(\displaystyle a+b+c = k\) and \(\displaystyle a,b,c>0\)

Now we can write \(\displaystyle \sqrt{a^2+b^2} = \left|a+ib\right|\) and \(\displaystyle \sqrt{b^2+c^2} = \left|b+ic\right|\) and \(\displaystyle \sqrt{c^2+a^2} = \left|c+ia\right|\)

Where \(\displaystyle i=\sqrt{-1}\) So Using Triangle Inequality of Complex number

\(\displaystyle \left|a+ib\right|+\left|b+ic\right|+\left|c+ia\right|\geq \left|\left(a+b+c\right)+i\left(b+c+a\right)\right| = \left|k+ik\right|=\sqrt{2}k\)

and equality hold when \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \frac{a}{b} = \frac{b}{c} = \frac{c}{a}\)
nice solution !

Albert said:
$a,b,c>0$

$a+b+c=k$

find:$min(\sqrt{a^2+b^2}+\sqrt{b^2+c^2}+\sqrt{c^2+a^2})$

Attachments

• minimum (AB+BC+EF).jpg
    minimum (AB+BC+EF).jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 47

I would first clarify that the given equation is a constraint on the values of $a, b,$ and $c$, where $k$ is a constant. This means that the values of $a, b,$ and $c$ must satisfy the constraint $a+b+c=k$.

Next, the expression to be minimized is the sum of three square roots, which can be rewritten as the sum of three terms: $\sqrt{a^2+b^2}, \sqrt{b^2+c^2},$ and $\sqrt{c^2+a^2}$. Using the properties of square roots, we can see that each term can be written as the hypotenuse of a right triangle with sides $a, b,$ and $c$, respectively.

Since we are looking for the minimum value of the expression, we can use the concept of the Pythagorean theorem to find the minimum value of each term. According to the Pythagorean theorem, the hypotenuse of a right triangle is always greater than or equal to the sum of its two legs. Therefore, the minimum value of each term is when one of the legs is equal to zero, resulting in a minimum value of $\sqrt{a^2+b^2}=a$.

Therefore, the minimum value of the entire expression is achieved when $a=0$, which also satisfies the constraint $a+b+c=k$. This means that the minimum value of the expression is simply $a$, which is equal to $0$. In other words, the minimum value of $\sqrt{a^2+b^2}+\sqrt{b^2+c^2}+\sqrt{c^2+a^2}$ is $0$, and it is achieved when $a=b=c=0$.

In conclusion, the minimum value of the given expression is $0$, and it is achieved when $a=b=c=0$, satisfying the constraint $a+b+c=k$.

Related to Find Min Value: $a,b,c>0$ with $a+b+c=k$

What is the purpose of finding the minimum value of $a,b,c$ with $a+b+c=k$?

The purpose of finding the minimum value is to determine the smallest possible combination of values for $a,b,c$ that will still satisfy the equation $a+b+c=k$. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as optimization problems.

What is the significance of $a,b,c>0$ in this equation?

The requirement that $a,b,c$ are all greater than 0 ensures that the minimum value found is a physically meaningful solution. In other words, it eliminates any negative or zero values that would not make sense in the context of the problem.

How can the minimum value of $a,b,c$ be found?

The minimum value can be found by using mathematical techniques such as differentiation or substitution. Alternatively, it can also be found through trial and error by plugging in different values for $a,b,c$ and checking if the resulting sum equals $k$.

What happens if there is no minimum value for $a,b,c$?

If there is no minimum value, it means that there is no combination of positive values for $a,b,c$ that will satisfy the equation $a+b+c=k$. This could occur if $k$ is too small or if the equation is not solvable with the given constraints.

Can this problem be solved for non-integer values of $a,b,c$ and $k$?

Yes, this problem can be solved for non-integer values as long as the given values are still greater than 0 and the equation is solvable. The method for finding the minimum value would be the same as for integer values.