Find moment of inertia via torque and acceleration parameter

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
D.B0004
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


2-1. A constant torque of 4 Nm is applied to an unloaded motor at rest at time t = 0. The motor reaches a speed of 1717 rpm in 4 s. Assuming the damping to be negligible, calculate the motor inertia in Nm·s2.

Homework Equations


T = J(eff) * dw/dt
J = kg*M^2

The Attempt at a Solution


I have NO clue where to start. First question - why is the motor inertia units stated as Nm*S2? I thought moment of inertia was only kg*m^2 (m = meters).
Second question - can someone point me in the right direction? I have been reading for hours. I know this is simple I'm just missing a link. Thanks for the help.
Also the problem seems basic but I posted it in this section because its for a 4000 level course - Electric Drives. Let me know if it should be elsewhere.
 
Physics news on Phys.org