1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find momentum of two objects

1. Jul 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Object 1 has a mass m1 and a velocity 1 = (2.70 m/s) on the x-axis. Object 2 has a mass m2 and a velocity 2 = (2.95 m/s) on the y-axis. The total momentum of these two objects has a magnitude of 18.6 kg·m/s and points in a direction 66.5° above the positive x-axis. Find m1 and m2.

3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly don't even know where to begin. I am finding it impossible to determine mass 1 and mass 2 without knowing one or the other. How do I even set this one up?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2009 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Re: Momentum

Hi MarineBio,

Was there some more information given, perhaps in a diagram? (For example, showing that mass 1 goes along the x-axis and mass 2 goes along the y-axis, or something like that.)

I'm surprised that they would say the velocity is 2.7m/s (for example) without giving a direction or a unit vector. If they did not give a direction, it seems like they would have referred to it as just the speed.

4. Jul 23, 2009 #3

Shoot, when I copy/pasted it did not include the x and y hats.

V1 is on the x axis
    V2 is on the y axis

5. Jul 23, 2009 #4

jgens

Gold Member

That makes things relatively simple! Since momentum is a vector quantity the component in the x and y directions should be: 18.6cos(θ) and 18.6sin(θ) respectively. Just resolve the components!

Since V1 is on the x-axis: m1V1 = 18.6cos(θ)

A similar argument can be made for the y-axis component.

6. Jul 23, 2009 #5

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Okay, then you can add up the momentum: the momentum of m1 + momentum of m2 = total momentum.

Remember though that since momentum is a vector quantity, and this is a 2-D problem, you'll end up needing to have a momentum equation for the x-direction, and a momentum equation for the y-direction.

Does that help? If not, please post what you are trying.

7. Jul 23, 2009 #6

Ha! I was making that one WAY more difficult than it actually was. Thank you, problem solved!

(this is such a great forum) :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook