What are the masses of two objects given their velocities and total momentum?

• Thread starter MarineBio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the two objects, object 1 and object 2, have masses m1 and m2, respectively, and velocities 1 = (2.70 m/s) on the x-axis and 2 = (2.95 m/s) on the y-axis. The total momentum of these two objects is 18.6 kg·m/s and points in a direction 66.5° above the positive x-axis. To find m1 and m2, the momentum equations for the x and y directions can be used, where m1V1 = 18.6cos(θ) and m2V2 = 18.6sin(θ). This simplifies the problem and allows for the determination of
MarineBio

Homework Statement

Object 1 has a mass m1 and a velocity 1 = (2.70 m/s) on the x-axis. Object 2 has a mass m2 and a velocity 2 = (2.95 m/s) on the y-axis. The total momentum of these two objects has a magnitude of 18.6 kg·m/s and points in a direction 66.5° above the positive x-axis. Find m1 and m2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't even know where to begin. I am finding it impossible to determine mass 1 and mass 2 without knowing one or the other. How do I even set this one up?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi MarineBio,

MarineBio said:

Homework Statement

Object 1 has a mass m1 and a velocity 1 = (2.70 m/s). Object 2 has a mass m2 and a velocity 2 = (2.95 m/s). The total momentum of these two objects has a magnitude of 18.6 kg·m/s and points in a direction 66.5° above the positive x-axis. Find m1 and m2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly don't even know where to begin. I am finding it impossible to determine mass 1 and mass 2 without knowing one or the other. How do I even set this one up?

Was there some more information given, perhaps in a diagram? (For example, showing that mass 1 goes along the x-axis and mass 2 goes along the y-axis, or something like that.)

I'm surprised that they would say the velocity is 2.7m/s (for example) without giving a direction or a unit vector. If they did not give a direction, it seems like they would have referred to it as just the speed.

alphysicist said:
Hi MarineBio,

Was there some more information given, perhaps in a diagram? (For example, showing that mass 1 goes along the x-axis and mass 2 goes along the y-axis, or something like that.)

I'm surprised that they would say the velocity is 2.7m/s (for example) without giving a direction or a unit vector. If they did not give a direction, it seems like they would have referred to it as just the speed.

Shoot, when I copy/pasted it did not include the x and y hats.

V1 is on the x axis
V2 is on the y axis

That makes things relatively simple! Since momentum is a vector quantity the component in the x and y directions should be: 18.6cos(θ) and 18.6sin(θ) respectively. Just resolve the components!

Since V1 is on the x-axis: m1V1 = 18.6cos(θ)

A similar argument can be made for the y-axis component.

MarineBio said:
Shoot, when I copy/pasted it did not include the x and y hats.

V1 is on the x axis
V2 is on the y axis

Okay, then you can add up the momentum: the momentum of m1 + momentum of m2 = total momentum.

Remember though that since momentum is a vector quantity, and this is a 2-D problem, you'll end up needing to have a momentum equation for the x-direction, and a momentum equation for the y-direction.

Does that help? If not, please post what you are trying.

jgens said:
That makes things relatively simple! Since momentum is a vector quantity the component in the x and y directions should be: 18.6cos(θ) and 18.6sin(θ) respectively. Just resolve the components!

Since V1 is on the x-axis: m1V1 = 18.6cos(θ)

A similar argument can be made for the y-axis component.

Ha! I was making that one WAY more difficult than it actually was. Thank you, problem solved!

(this is such a great forum) :smile:

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of the motion of an object, determined by multiplying its mass by its velocity.

How do you calculate momentum?

The momentum of an object can be calculated by multiplying its mass (m) by its velocity (v). This can be expressed as p = mv.

What is the unit of momentum?

The SI unit for momentum is kilogram-meter per second (kg*m/s).

How is momentum conserved in a system?

Momentum is conserved in a system when the total momentum before an interaction or event is equal to the total momentum after the interaction or event. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative. The sign of momentum depends on the direction of the object's velocity. A negative momentum indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of a chosen positive direction.