1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find P(X<= 36.7) using CLT and Z-Scores

1. Oct 26, 2012 #1
    Hi there,

Not sure if this is the right place, but the problem states that a battery has a population mean of 40 hours and standard deviation of 5. Let X represent the mean lifetime of batteries in a simple random sample size of 100. What is P(X <= 36.7)?

I tried computing this with X~N(40, 0.25) according to the CLT, but when I tried calculating z = (36.2 - 40)/√(0.25), the z-score was 7.6 and way too far from the z-score table. Any ideas??

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2012 #2
    I don't understand what you are doing here. What's the number 0.25 and where does it come from? Shouldn't the CLT distribution have a standard deviation of 5 too?

4. Oct 26, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The variance of X_bar (the mean of the X_i) is (1/100^2)*100*Var(X) = 5^2/100 as you implied, and that gives z = (36.7 - 40)/0.5 = -6.6 (not +7.6 as you wrote). This is still way beyond standard tables, but you can use instead the asymptotic expansion of the right-tail normal cdf. Let G(z) = P{Z > z} for Z ~ N(0,1). Express G as an integral, then integrate by parts. Letting
    [tex] \phi(t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} e^{-t^2/2},[/tex] we have
    [tex]G(z) = \int_z^{\infty} \phi(t) \, dt = \int_z^{\infty} \frac{1}{t} \cdot t \phi(t) ,\ dt
    = \frac{1}{z} \phi(z) - \int_z^{\infty} \frac{1}{t^2} \phi(t) \, dt.[/tex]
    Note that the "remainder" term ∫ phi/t^2 is less than---usually much less than-- 1/z^2 times the first term, so for z > 3 we get reasonable accuracy by just keeping the first term:
    [tex] G(z) \approx \frac{1}{z} \phi(z)[/tex] for z greater than tabulated values. The approximation can be improved by once again integrating by parts, writing phi/t^2 as (1/t^3)*(t \phi), etc. (However, this gives an _asymptotic_series, so after a certain number of terms the error starts to grow instead of diminish, which puts a limit on the attainable accuracy.) Since P{Z ≤ -6.6} = G(+6.6), the simple approximation gives P{Z ≤ -6.6} ≈ 0.21010e(-10) instead of the "exact" value of 0.20558e(-10).

BTW: the above expansion is well-known, and can be found in many sources.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook