Find Partial Derivatives of z with Respect to u and v

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
-EquinoX-
Messages
561
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Find [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial u}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial v}[/tex] using the chain rule.

[tex]z = \arctan(\frac{x}{y}) , x=u^2+v^2 , y=u^2-v^2[/tex]

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial u} = \frac{4uv^2}{v^4 - 2u^2v^2 + u^4} * \frac{1}{1+((u^2+v^2)/(u^2-v^2))^2)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial v} = \frac{4u^2v}{v^4 - 2u^2v^2 + u^4} * \frac{1}{(1+((u^2+v^2)/(u^2-v^2))^2)}[/tex]

why is my answer wrong?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
-EquinoX- said:
why is my answer wrong?

Are we supposed to guess at what steps are written on your paper? :confused:
 
For one thing d(arctan(x))/dx=1/(1+x^2). I think you missed the square.
 
oh you're right, I missed the squares, but it is still wrong
 
Tom Mattson is right. It would be a lot easier to say what is wrong if you would show what you've done. Just showing a wrong answer and saying 'what did I do wrong?' is more of a puzzle than a question. I don't think you've done much wrong. I get a different sign for dz/du and you could certainly simplify them more.
 
well I think the problem here is just from taking the derivative of

[tex]\frac{u^2+v^2}{u^2-v^2}[/tex] with respect to u, right. I realize that there should be a - sign in front of it.. am I right?
 
Yes. But like I said you can also simplify those expressions a lot. I don't know if the HW checker requires this or not.
 
the best simplification I can think of is:

[tex]\frac{-4uv}{(u^2-v^2)^2+(u^2+v^2)^2}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Do you mean -4uv/((u^2-v^2)^2+(u^2+v^2)^2)?? I can write that in less space.