Find position vector from given velocity

In summary, the homework statement states that a particle of mass m is traveling on a horizontal surface with velocity 7i-4j and collides with a stationary particle of mass 3m at the origin of the co-ordinate system. Find an expression for the position vector of A at time t<0. The Attempt at a Solution states that integration of the velocity gives the following displacement vector: \vec r(t)=\vec v t + C. Therefore, at time t=0, r(t)=7ti-4tj.
Skuzzy

Homework Statement

A particle A of mass m is traveling on a horizontal surface with velocity 7i-4j and collides with a stationary particle of mass 3m at the origin of the co-ordinate system at time t=0

Find an expression for the position vector of A at time t<0

NB: There is more to this question but this is the part I don't understand. The question itself is confusing to me.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrate the velocity, a constant, so taking the velocity of A as v I integrate and get vt + C

So: converting back to component form I get 7ti-4tj but still with the '+ C'

Clearly this can't be right.

If you can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The constants of integration are solved for with the initial conditions given in the problem. For example V=7i-4j when t=0 and subsequently when t< 0 V = ? So by knowing when t=0 one can solve for the constant, C, and then insert that value back into the original equation.

Just to make work a bit more simple, let's assume that a unit vectors in the i and j directions are 1 meter in length each. I'd also prefer to name the two axes x and y, rather than i and j, just as to avoid confusion with terms like initial velocity.

The velocity in the x direction is constant at 7 m/s
The velocity in the y direction is constant at 4 m/s

At [tex]t=0[/tex], you're told that the position vector is equal to 0.
These are the kinematic equations describing motion at a constant velocity, they can be constructed using integration, or the more intuitive definitions of velocity and initial position.
[tex]\vec x(t)=\vec v_{x}t + x_0[/tex]
[tex]\vec y(t)=\vec v_{y}t+y_0[/tex]

Now, you know exactly how those relations look like, since you know the constant velocities and the initial positions. Try and substitute [tex]t[/tex] for [tex]t*[/tex], and define [tex]t*=-t[/tex]

See what sort of expression that nets you.

Like GURU said, the integration constant in physics is often very closely associated with the initial conditions of the system. Once you reach more advanced subject material such as work and energy, or others, you'll often find integration leaves you with other constants that are dependent on the initial conditions of the system.

One way to look at it is through dimensional considerations. You can only take the sum of two quantities that have the same dimensions. So the only constants you can add to an expression describing, displacement, for instance, are ones who themselves describe displacement.

For an expression dependent on any sort of variable, [tex]a(b)=kb^n+c[/tex] just look at the 'initial' conditions, where [tex]b=0[/tex] and you'll find [tex]c[/tex].

Last edited:
I'm trying to follow..

So r(0)=0

Therefore r(t)=vt + C must give C=0

so r(t)=vt = 7ti-4tj

?

Skuzzy said:
I'm trying to follow..

So r(0)=0

Therefore r(t)=vt + C must give C=0

so r(t)=vt = 7ti-4tj

?

Yes, that's right.

Integration of the velocity gives the following displacement vector:
[tex]\vec r(t)=\vec v t + C[/tex]
[tex]\vec r(0)=0[/tex]
[tex]\vec r(0)=\vec v*0 + C[/tex]
And from there it immediately follows that:
[tex]0=C[/tex]
[tex]\vec r(t)=\vec v t[/tex]
[tex]\vec r(t) = 7t \hat i -4t \hat j[/tex]

Well that makes sense thanks... back to the books now

Thanks again for the help CFDFEAGURU and RoyalCat

1. What is a position vector?

A position vector is a mathematical representation of the location of a point in space, relative to a chosen coordinate system. It is usually denoted by r and expressed in terms of its components in the x, y, and z directions.

2. How is a position vector different from a regular vector?

A position vector is a specific type of vector that represents the location of a point in space, while a regular vector can represent any physical quantity with both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

3. What information is needed to find a position vector from given velocity?

To find a position vector from given velocity, you need to know the initial position of the object, the direction of its velocity, and the magnitude of its velocity. You may also need to know the time elapsed since the initial position.

4. Can a position vector change over time?

Yes, a position vector can change over time if the object it represents is moving. As the object's position changes, the components of the position vector in the x, y, and z directions will also change.

5. How is a position vector useful in scientific research?

Position vectors are useful in scientific research as they provide a precise and quantitative way to describe the location of objects in space. They are particularly important in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy, where precise measurements and calculations are necessary.