Find postition on third charge question

• Thread starter flaming
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, the problem is asking for the position at which a third charge can be placed between two other charges so that the net electrostatic force on it is zero. The first question prompts the consideration of the positioning of the third charge in relation to the other two positive charges, and the second question encourages critical thinking about the directions of the forces acting on the third charge in different positions.
flaming
Find postition of third charge question

Homework Statement

A charge of 1.57E-9 C is placed at the origin, and a charge of 4.23E-9 C is placed at x = 1.51 m. Find the position at which a third charge of 3.11E-9 C can be placed so that the net electrostatic force on it is zero.

Please help me out with this one

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First question: Given that the charges are all positive, and that positive charges repel, do you think the 3rd charge should be placed to the left of both charges, to the right of both charges, or inbetween the two charges? Why?

Tom Mattson said:
First question: Given that the charges are all positive, and that positive charges repel, do you think the 3rd charge should be placed to the left of both charges, to the right of both charges, or inbetween the two charges? Why?

i guess it would be at the left of the two charges to counter them..i guess

Don't guess. Think.

If the 3rd charge were to the left of the other two, and the other two were both repelling it, then is it even possible that the net force on the 3rd charge is zero? Think about the directions of the forces on the 3rd charge.

1. What is the formula for finding the position of a third charge?

The formula for finding the position of a third charge in relation to two other charges is: x = (q1x1 + q2x2)/q3, where x is the position of the third charge, q1 and q2 are the charges of the first two charges, and x1 and x2 are their respective positions.

2. How do I determine the direction of the third charge?

The direction of the third charge can be determined by using the right-hand rule. Point your right thumb in the direction of the first charge, your index finger in the direction of the second charge, and your middle finger will point in the direction of the third charge.

3. Can the position of the third charge be negative?

Yes, the position of the third charge can be negative. This indicates that the charge is located on the opposite side of the axis of the first two charges.

4. What units should I use to measure the position of the third charge?

The units used to measure the position of the third charge will depend on the units used for the charges and positions of the first two charges. It is important to keep the units consistent throughout the calculation.

5. How do I know if my calculated position of the third charge is correct?

You can check the accuracy of your calculated position by using the formula for Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. If your calculated position satisfies this equation, it is likely correct.