Find tension in a rope of a mountain climber

In summary, a mountain climber weighing 735N is rappelling down a vertical cliff with a rope making an angle of 12 degrees with the cliff. The tension in the rope can be found by using trigonometric functions and setting up equations for the x and y components of force. Since the climber is not sliding down the cliff, there is no friction force and the y-component of tension must equal the climber's weight to prevent acceleration. The x-component of tension must equal the force of the mountain on the climber to prevent acceleration through the mountain. Using the adjacent side of the force vector and the angle of 78 degrees, the tension in the rope can be calculated to be 751N.
1irishman

Homework Statement

A 735N mountain climber is rappelling down the face of a vertical cliff as shown in the diagram. If the rope makes an angle of 12deg with the vertical face, what is the tension in the rope?

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma
trig functions
Ff=uFN

The Attempt at a Solution

I separated force into x and y components

X
---
FN-Tx=0
therefore FN=Tx

Y
----
Ff+Ty-mg=0
Ff=uFN=uTx
uTx+Ty-mg=0
uTcos78+Tsin78-mg=0

I need help from here...the answer in the book says 751N, so i don't know...maybe i setup my net force equation wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

The mountain climber is repelling down the mountain, not sliding down the mountain. Consider this when deriving your equations.

Oh, so does that mean no friction force then? Or does that mean I need to change a positive sign to a negative sign in one or more of my equations? Thank you.

[tex]\mu_s[/tex] isn't a given quantity, if you need it, where are you going to get it from?

there will be no frictional force

maldinirulz said:
there will be no frictional force

correct ^^

I'm lost...i think the angle to use with the trig functions is 78deg, but I'm not sure...i'm not sure how to proceed further...

ok, what do we know?

we know that the tension force has two components and we know that its y-component must equal (mg) in order for the man not to accelerate downward.

we know that the force of the mountain on the man must equal the x-component of the tension force in order for the man not to accelerate through the mountain.

we have the adjacent side of our force vector and we have the angle between the adjacent and the hypotenuse. Can you take it from here?

I will try and get back...thank you for help.

1irishman said:
I will try and get back...thank you for help.

my pleasure, keep in mind that cosine is defined adjacent over hypotenuse.

Related to Find tension in a rope of a mountain climber

What is tension?

Tension is the pulling force exerted by a rope or other object when it is stretched.

Why is it important to find tension in a rope?

Knowing the tension in a rope is crucial for ensuring the safety of a mountain climber. It helps determine the maximum weight the rope can support and prevents it from breaking.

How can you find tension in a rope?

Tension can be calculated by using the formula T = m x g, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. In this case, the mass would be the weight of the climber and any equipment attached to the rope.

What factors affect tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the climber, the angle of the rope, and the elasticity of the rope. These factors can increase or decrease the tension in the rope.

How can tension be adjusted in a rope for a mountain climber?

Tension in a rope can be adjusted by changing the angle of the rope or by adding or removing weight from the rope. Additionally, using different types of ropes with varying elasticity can also affect the tension.