Find the Answer to x[n] in a 2-Point DFT

• Thread starter digitsboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dft
In summary, the 2-point DFT of x[n] is given by the expression X[k] = 2δ[k], for k = 0, 1. And the solution to find x[n] is x[n] = δ[n]+δ[n−1], which is calculated by taking the sum of two non-zero terms in the frequency component.
digitsboy

Homework Statement

The 2-point DFT of x[n] is given by the expression X[k] = 2δ[k], for k = 0, 1.

Homework Equations

What is x[n]?

The Attempt at a Solution

i know the answer but i don't know how they calculate it
because a delta pulse is only one at k=zero.
[itex] x\left[n\right]=\frac{1}{N}\sum _{k=0}^{N-1}X\left[k\right]\cdot e^{j\cdot \frac{2\pi }{N}kn}\: [/itex]
because k=0
[itex] e^{j\cdot \frac{2\pi }{N}kn}\: = 1 [/itex]
So i come to an answer where x[n] = δ[n]
But it is: x[n] = δ[n]+δ[n−1] ? How to they calculate that, i don't understand it

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm not sure if I understand the problem correctly, but it looks to me that the FT of the signal has only two frequency component, at k = 0 and k=1.
If that is correct, the sum in your attempted solution contains only two non-zero terms: k = 0, and k = 1, both of them are equal to 2.
So, ##x(n) = 2 \cdot e^{j \frac {2 \pi}N 0 \cdot n} + 2 \cdot e^{j \frac {2 \pi}N1 \cdot n}##

Hope that helps

uhh no because the answer is x[n] = δ[n]+δ[n−1]

1. What is a 2-Point DFT?

A 2-Point DFT (Discrete Fourier Transform) is a mathematical operation used in signal processing to convert a finite sequence of equally-spaced samples of a continuous signal into a representation in the frequency domain. It is a commonly used method for analyzing and processing digital signals.

2. How do you find the answer to x[n] in a 2-Point DFT?

To find the answer to x[n] in a 2-Point DFT, you need to perform the DFT operation on the two input points, x[0] and x[1]. This involves multiplying each input point by a complex exponential function, summing the results, and taking the magnitude of the resulting complex number. The resulting value is the answer to x[n] in the 2-Point DFT.

3. What is the significance of finding the answer to x[n] in a 2-Point DFT?

Finding the answer to x[n] in a 2-Point DFT allows us to analyze the frequency components present in a digital signal. This is useful in applications such as audio and image processing, where understanding the frequency content of a signal can help with filtering, compression, and other signal processing tasks.

4. Are there any limitations to using a 2-Point DFT?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a 2-Point DFT. One limitation is that it can only analyze a finite number of input points, so it may not accurately represent signals with a continuous or infinite number of points. Additionally, the accuracy of the results can be affected by factors such as noise and sampling rate.

5. Can the 2-Point DFT be used in real-world applications?

Yes, the 2-Point DFT is widely used in real-world applications such as audio and image processing, as well as in other fields such as telecommunications and data compression. It is a powerful tool for analyzing the frequency content of digital signals and is an essential part of many signal processing systems and algorithms.