Find the area of the metal plate

In summary, the problem states that C=Epsilon0(A)/delta x, where C=3,000, Epsilon0=8.85 × 10^-12, and delta x=0.5mm. The goal is to find the area of the metal plates, given that there is a 3,000 coulomb charge on the plates and they are placed 0.5mm apart. The answer should be given in meters and should be close to 40,000, but the given answer is 1.6*10^11m. It is important to note that the problem may depend on previous information, so all relevant information should be provided in one place to avoid confusion.
Mango12
I know C=Epsilon0(A)/delta x

From the problem, C=3,000
Epsilon0 = 8.85 × 10^-12
and delta x is .5mm

The answer is supposed to be given in meters and should be close to 40,000 but I got 1.6*10^11m...help please!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you state the entire problem as given?

MarkFL said:
Can you state the entire problem as given?

Now let's find the area of the metal plates. We already know from a previous problem that there is a 3,000 coulomb charge on the plates. The plates are placed .5mm apart. (approximate answer is 250 miles, but give your answer in meters)

Mango12 said:
Now let's find the area of the metal plates. We already know from a previous problem that there is a 3,000 coulomb charge on the plates. The plates are placed .5mm apart. (approximate answer is 250 miles, but give your answer in meters)

If a problem depends on a previous problem, then you need to give all relevant information, all in one place, so people don't have to guess at what's going on or chase the information down in other threads. (Whew)

MarkFL said:
If a problem depends on a previous problem, then you need to give all relevant information, all in one place, so people don't have to guess at what's going on or chase the information down in other threads. (Whew)

Yes..I have given all relevant information that I know. I know the charge in coulombs and the distance between the plates. Epsilon nought is a given number. And I need to solve for area.

Related to Find the area of the metal plate

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a metal plate?

The formula for finding the area of a metal plate is length x width. In other words, you multiply the length of the plate by the width of the plate to get the area in square units.

2. How do I measure the length and width of a metal plate?

The length and width of a metal plate can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. Simply place the ruler or measuring tape along one edge of the plate and note the measurement in the appropriate unit (inches, centimeters, etc.). Repeat this process for the other edge to get the length and width measurements.

3. What units should I use when finding the area of a metal plate?

The units used to measure the length and width of the metal plate should be the same units used for the area calculation. For example, if the length and width are measured in inches, the area will be in square inches.

4. Can I use the same formula to find the area of any shape metal plate?

No, the formula for finding the area of a metal plate (length x width) is specifically for rectangular or square plates. Other shapes, such as circles or triangles, require different formulas to find the area.

5. How accurate do my measurements need to be when finding the area of a metal plate?

The accuracy of your measurements will depend on the precision needed for your specific project. Generally, it is best to measure to the nearest whole unit (e.g. inch, centimeter) for a reasonable level of accuracy. However, if more precise measurements are needed, you may need to measure to the nearest fraction or decimal place.