1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the centroid

1. Oct 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the centroid bounded by the given curves.
    y = x^3 , x+y = 2, y = 0
    So if you graph this you will see that if you did it with respect to x you would have the break the graph at the point (1,1). Or at least I think you would have to. So in my book they give the equations

2. Relevant equations

x bar = (1/A)∫ x(f(x) - g(x)) dx and y bar = (1/A)∫ (1/2) ( f(x)^2 - g(x)^2 ) dx

3. The attempt at a solution

So I was thinking what if I just turned did it with respect to Y.

So would it be OK if I did.

y bar = (1/A)∫ y(f(y) - g(y)) dy and x bar = (1/A)∫ (1/2) ( f(x)^2 - g(x)^2 ) dx

Would this be OK to try? I just want to make sure I have it straight before I plug and chug.
    Thanks,
    J

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2013 #2

verty

Homework Helper

I think this is similar to a center of mass calculation, you can read more here.

4. Oct 17, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If I'm understanding what you're asking, no, you can't do this. The geometry of the two integrands is very different, so you can't just arbitrarily switch from integrating w.r.t x to integrating w.r.t. y.

For ##\bar{x}##, the typical integration element is the moment for a vertical slice, and looks like x * (yupper - ylower)Δx.

For ##\bar{y}##, the typical integration element is the moment for a horizontal slice, and looks like y * (xright - xleft)Δy.

5. Oct 17, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The definition of "centroid" of a region is [itex]\bar{x}= \frac{1}{A}\int x dA[/itex] and [itex]\bar{y}= \frac{1}{A}\int ydA[/itex] where A is the area of the region and dA is the differential of area.

In particular, if the region lies between y= f(x) and y= g(x), x between a and b, with f(x)< g(x) for all x in [a, b], then [itex]\int xdA= \int_{x= a}^b\int_{y= (x)}^{g(x)} x dy dx= \int_a^b x(f(x)- g(x))dx[/itex] and [itex]\int_a^b \int_{f(x)}^{g(x)} y dydx= \int_a^b \frac{1}{2}\left[y^2\right]_{f(x)}^{g(x)} dx[/itex]
    [itex]= \frac{1}{2}\int_a^b g^2(x)- f^2(x) dx[/itex], just as you say.

But if the region lies between x= f(y) and x= g(y), y between a and b, with f(y)< g(y) for all y in [a, b], you can also do [itex]\int dA[/itex] reversing the orders of x and y. That would give [itex]\int xdA= \int_{y= a}^b\int_{x= f(y)}^{g(y)} x dxdy= \frac{1}{2}\int_a^b g^2(y)- f^2(y) dy[/itex] and [itex]\int ydA= \int_{y= a}^b \int_{x= f(y)}^{g(y)} y dxdy= \int_a^b y(f(y)- g(y))dy[/itex].

In other words, all you are doing is "swapping" x and y. And, of course, it really doesn't matter which axis you call "x" and which "y", as long as you don't get them confused.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2013
  6. Oct 17, 2013 #5
    Wait I'm confused. Mark44 said no and Hallsofivy yes? Or is HallsofIvy saying something different?

7. Oct 17, 2013 #6
    Different I should of had dy

8. Oct 17, 2013 #7
    Going back to my original post then.
    Find the centroid bounded by the given curves.
    y = x^3 , x+y = 2, y = 0
    A = 3/4
    So I did x = 1/A (1/2) ∫ (2-y)^2 -(y)^1/3 dy

= 2/3 ∫ 4 - 4y +y^2 - y^(2/3) dy
    = (2/3) [ 4y -2y^2 + y^3/3 - (3/5)y^5/3]
    evaluate from [0,1] and you get 52/45 = 1.155

And y = (4/3) ∫ y(2-y - y^1/3) dy = (4/3) ∫ 2y -y^2 -^4/3 dy
    = (4/3)[y^2 - y^3 /3 - 93/7)^7/3 from [0,1]

= 20/ 63 = .317460

So centroid is (52/45 , 20/ 63)

Yes no ?

9. Oct 18, 2013 #8
    I think you made a mistake

[itex]\int ydA= \int_{y= a}^b \int_{x= f(y)}^{g(y)} y dxdy= \int_a^b y(f(y)- g(y))dy[/itex].

Should if be g(y) - f(y) ? Since f(y) <g(y) ?

10. Oct 18, 2013 #9

Mark44

Yes. The last integral should have an integrand of y(g(y) - f(y)). The upper limit of integration is g(y) and the lower limit is f(y).

11. Oct 18, 2013 #10

Mark44

That makes a difference. Also, I'm not sure I understood what you were asking, so we might have interpreted what you wrote in different ways.

12. Oct 18, 2013 #11
    Ah. It;s Ok. I usually write like a 6 year old. Doesn't help ...ha!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted