Find the equation of the form y = Ce^kt if it passes through two specific points

In summary, the problem is asking to find the equation of the form y = Cekt if it passes through (0, 4) and (5, 1/2). The steps to solve this problem would be to plug in the given points for x and y, and then solve for C and k.
lude1

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the form y = Cekt if it passes through (0, 4) and (5, 1/2)

Homework Equations

y = mx+b?

The Attempt at a Solution

When I see "find the equation", my instant reaction is to find the derivative of y = Cekt. Once I have the derivative (or the slope of the equation I'm finding) I can plug it into y = mx+b. Plug in one set of points I was given to find "b", and plug "b" back into the original equation along with my derivative/slope. However, I don't know what to do with the second pair of points. Do I use it to check my work? Nevertheless, if my reasoning is correct, I'm not sure how to find the derivative of y = Cekt because there are three unknown variables. This is what I have so far:

y = C(ekt)' + ektC'
y = C(ekt)(kt)' + 0

I stopped here because I noticed it didn't look right. If I continue with this derivative, I end up with 0 because the derivative of kt will be 0 (assuming they are both variables) making the first part of the equation zero, and like the first part, the derivative of C is zero (assuming it is a variable) making the second part of the equation zero (thus having 0 + 0).

Which leads to another question: when do I find the derivative and when do I find the integral? In my other homework problems, I was given the slope and a pair of points. However, this problem was solved by integrating the slope and getting another equation. Then, with the integral, the book plugged in the point and got the particular solution they asked for.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you are attempting to do. They gave you y = Cekt and are asking for the equation if it passes through (0, 4) and (5, 1/2).

They want you to find C and k.

Oh.. I must have misinterpreted the problem. So that means I plug in my x coordinates for t and y coordinates for y, right?

lude1 said:
Oh.. I must have misinterpreted the problem. So that means I plug in my x coordinates for t and y coordinates for y, right?

Yes.

Mmk. Thank you for clarifying the problem for me!

1. What does the form y = Ce^kt represent?

The form y = Ce^kt represents the exponential growth or decay function, where C is the initial value and k is the rate of change.

2. How do you find the equation of the form y = Ce^kt if it passes through two specific points?

To find the equation, you will need to first substitute the two points into the equation. This will give you two equations with two unknowns (C and k). Then, you can solve the system of equations to find the values of C and k, which can then be used to write the final equation.

3. What do the two points represent in the equation y = Ce^kt?

The two points represent the initial value and another value at a specific time or point in the exponential growth or decay function.

4. Can the equation y = Ce^kt be used to model real-life situations?

Yes, the equation y = Ce^kt can be used to model real-life situations such as population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest.

5. Is it possible for the equation y = Ce^kt to have a negative value for C or k?

Yes, it is possible for the equation to have a negative value for C or k. A negative value for C would represent a decay situation, while a negative value for k would result in a decreasing exponential function.