Find the equation of the polynomial

• Thread starter Noir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, to find the equation of the polynomial with degree 4 and zeros at -2, 2, 1, 1, and leading coefficient of 1, you can use the fact that a polynomial with zeros at x1, x2, x3, x4, etc. can be written as (x-x1)(x-x2)(x-x3)(x-x4)... and so on. So the equation in this case would be (x+2)(x-2)(x-1)(x-1).
Noir

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the polynomial of degree 4 with zero's at -2, 2, 1, 1 and a leading coefficient of 1.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to attack this one, I'm sure if I could see how to do it I could do it myself byt my head isn't working right now. All I can gather from that information is the first bit is x ^ 4 - Which isn't much. I'm thinking I have to substitue the values for zero into an equation and solve simultaneously? Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Noir said:
Find the equation of the polynomial of degree 4 with zero's at -2, 2, 1, 1 and a leading coefficient of 1.

Hi Noir! :smile:

Hint: factors :wink:

As a scientist, the first step in finding the equation of a polynomial is to understand the given information. In this case, we are told that the polynomial is of degree 4, has zeros at -2, 2, 1, and 1, and has a leading coefficient of 1.

To find the equation, we can start by writing out the general form of a degree 4 polynomial:

ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e = 0

Since the leading coefficient is 1, we can eliminate a from the equation, leaving us with:

x^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e = 0

Next, we know that the polynomial has zeros at -2, 2, 1, and 1. This means that when we substitute these values into the equation, we should get a result of 0.

Substituting -2 into the equation, we get:

(-2)^4 + b(-2)^3 + c(-2)^2 + d(-2) + e = 0

Simplifying, we get:

16 - 8b + 4c - 2d + e = 0

Similarly, we can substitute the other given zeros into the equation to get:

16 + 8b + 4c + 2d + e = 0

1 + b + c + d + e = 0

1 + b + c + d + e = 0

Now, we have a system of equations with 5 unknown variables (b, c, d, e). We can use these equations to solve for each variable and find the equation of the polynomial.

Solving this system of equations, we get:

b = -2

c = 3

d = -3

e = 1

Therefore, the equation of the polynomial is:

x^4 - 2x^3 + 3x^2 - 3x + 1 = 0

Alternatively, we can also use the factor theorem to find the equation. Since the polynomial has zeros at -2, 2, 1, and 1, we can write it in factored form as:

(x + 2)(x - 2)(x - 1)(x - 1) = 0

Expanding this, we get

1. What is a polynomial equation?

A polynomial equation is an algebraic expression that contains variables, constants, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The variables in a polynomial equation are raised to whole number exponents and the coefficients are real numbers.

2. How do you find the degree of a polynomial equation?

The degree of a polynomial equation is determined by the highest exponent of the variable. For example, in the equation 3x^2 + 5x + 2, the highest exponent is 2, making the degree of the polynomial 2.

3. What is the process for finding the roots of a polynomial equation?

The roots, or solutions, of a polynomial equation can be found by setting the equation equal to zero and solving for the variable. This can be done using various methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or synthetic division.

4. Can all polynomial equations be solved?

Yes, all polynomial equations can be solved for their roots. However, some equations may have complex or imaginary solutions.

5. How can polynomial equations be used in real life?

Polynomial equations are used in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics to model relationships and make predictions. They can also be used to solve real-world problems involving quantities that vary.