Find the exact volume of a bounded surface. Multiple Integrals.

In summary, the exact volume of the solid bounded above by the surface z=e^{-x^2-y^2}, below by the xy-plane, and on the side by x^2+y^2=1 is given by the double integral \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^1 (e^{-r^2})rdrd\theta.
notorious_lx
1. Ok, so the question is.. Find the exact volume of the solid bounded above by the surface [itex]z=e^{-x^2-y^2}[/itex], below by the xy-plane, and on the side by [itex]x^2+y^2=1[/itex].
2. Alright. So, I know that I can use a double integral to find the volume, and switching to polar coordinates would be simpler.[itex] z=e^{-r^2}[/itex] and [itex]r^2 =1[/itex], therefore [itex]z=e^{-1}[/itex].
3. I'm not sure how to calculate the double integral. I know volume would be the double integral of the top surface minus the bottom surface, but do i need to split the surface into two separate double integrals and add them together? This should be easy but I can't seem to figure this out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
notorious_lx said:
1. Ok, so the question is.. Find the exact volume of the solid bounded above by the surface [itex]z=e^{-x^2-y^2}[/itex], below by the xy-plane, and on the side by [itex]x^2+y^2=1[/itex].

2. Alright. So, I know that I can use a double integral to find the volume, and switching to polar coordinates would be simpler.[itex] z=e^{-r^2}[/itex] and [itex]r^2 =1[/itex], therefore [itex]z=e^{-1}[/itex].
Not quite. ##r=1## only on the bounding surface. But inside the volume you need to use ##e^{-r^2}##.
3. I'm not sure how to calculate the double integral. I know volume would be the double integral of the top surface minus the bottom surface, but do i need to split the surface into two separate double integrals and add them together? This should be easy but I can't seem to figure this out.

Not sure what is bothering you here. What do you get when you set up the integral in polar coordinates using "top - bottom" surface in the integrand as you suggest?

You integrate [itex]e^{-r^2}[itex] with r from 0 to 1, [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex]. The "differential of area" in polar coordinates is [itex]r dr d\theta[/itex].

OK here is what I have so far..

[itex] \int_0^{2\pi} \int_{-rsinθ}^{rsinθ} (e^{-r^2}-{\frac{1}{e}})rdrdθ + \int_0^{2\pi} \int_{-rsinθ}^{rsinθ} ({\frac{1}{e}}rdrdθ)[/itex]

I'm not sure if this is right.. I may be overthinking this way too much.. haha

edit: This is just equal to [itex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_{-rsinθ}^{rsinθ} (e^{-r^2})rdrdθ [/itex] right?

Last edited:
notorious_lx said:
OK here is what I have so far..

[itex] \int_0^{2\pi} \int_{-rsinθ}^{rsinθ} (e^{-r^2}-{\frac{1}{e}})rdrdθ + \int_0^{2\pi} \int_{-rsinθ}^{rsinθ} ({\frac{1}{e}}rdrdθ)[/itex]

I'm not sure if this is right.. I may be overthinking this way too much.. haha

edit: This is just equal to [itex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_{-rsinθ}^{rsinθ} (e^{-r^2})rdrdθ [/itex] right?

Well, they aren't equal because you dropped the ##\frac 1 e##. But where did that come from anyway?? And your inner limits, the ##r## limits, are incorrect. What is the equation of the circle ##x^2+y^2=1## in polar coordinates? Where did the ##\sin\theta## terms come from?

ok i had [itex] \int_0^1 \int_{-\sqrt{1-x^2}}^{\sqrt{1-x^2}} (e^{-(x^2+y^2)}) [/itex]
Then I did this and used [itex]r^2=1[/itex], but this is only on the boundry so this is incorrect.
[itex]
\begin{align}
&= \sqrt{1-x^2}\\
&= \sqrt{r^2-r^2\cos^2{\theta}}\\
&= r\sqrt{1-\cos^2{\theta}}\\
&= r\sin{\theta}
\end{align}[/itex]

notorious_lx said:
ok i had [itex] \int_0^1 \int_{-\sqrt{1-x^2}}^{\sqrt{1-x^2}} (e^{-(x^2+y^2)}) [/itex]
Then I did this and used [itex]r^2=1[/itex], but this is only on the boundry so this is incorrect.
[itex]
\begin{align}
&= \sqrt{1-x^2}\\
&= \sqrt{r^2-r^2\cos^2{\theta}}\\
&= r\sqrt{1-\cos^2{\theta}}\\
&= r\sin{\theta}
\end{align}

[/itex]

In the integrand ##r## varies throughout the circular region. But think about how ##r,\theta## vary to cover a circle. It is the limiting values that go in the limits. You have already figured out that ##\theta## must go from ##0\rightarrow 2\pi##. Now if you start at the origin and move in any particular ##\theta## direction, what are the lower and higher limits ##r## will take?

r would go from 0 to 1.
so the equation would be [itex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^1 (e^{-r^2})rdrd\theta [/itex]?

notorious_lx said:
r would go from 0 to 1.
so the equation would be [itex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^1 (e^{-r^2})rdrd\theta [/itex]?

Yes. Not only is that correct, it is easier eh?

What is a bounded surface?

A bounded surface is a geometric shape that is limited or enclosed by a set of boundaries or edges. It can be two-dimensional or three-dimensional.

What is the concept of multiple integrals?

Multiple integrals involve integrating a function over a bounded surface, which can be in two or three dimensions. It is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume of a bounded surface.

How do you find the exact volume of a bounded surface using multiple integrals?

To find the exact volume, you need to set up a double or triple integral, depending on the number of dimensions of the bounded surface. The integral will involve integrating the function over the bounds of the surface. You can then solve the integral using various integration techniques.

What are the main applications of finding the exact volume of a bounded surface?

Finding the exact volume of a bounded surface is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to determine the mass and center of mass of an object, calculate fluid flow rates, and solve optimization problems.

What are some common challenges when finding the exact volume of a bounded surface using multiple integrals?

One of the main challenges is setting up the integral correctly and determining the bounds of integration. This can be especially difficult for complex surfaces. Another challenge is solving the integral, which can involve complicated mathematical techniques and may require the use of computational software.