Find the force exerted by the oil on the shaft

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with a fluid mechanics question and seeking help. The question involves finding the force exerted by oil on a shaft passing through a bearing sleeve. The answer is given, but the person is having trouble understanding the working out. They have attempted to find the dynamic viscosity coefficient and shear stress, but are unsure if they are on the right track. They also provide some equations and calculations they have done so far.
karius
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new here, and long story short, I'm struggling a bit on a fluid mechanics question I've been doing for some revision.

A shaft 70 mm in diameter is being pushed at a speed of 400 mm/s through a bearing sleeve
70.2 mm in diameter and 250 mm long. The clearance, assumed uniform, is filled with oil
with kinematic viscosity ν = 0.005 m^2/s and density ρ = 900 kg/m^3. Find the force exerted by the oil on the shaft. (ans.: 990 N)

As you see, I have the answer given to me, but I do not quite get the working out. Can somebody please help me out? :(

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Karius, welcome to Physics Forums.

Revision or not the rules here reuqire you to show us some attempted working before help is offered.

So what have you calculated so far?

Well to be honest, I'm not sure whether this is correct or not, but this is what I have so far.
I have found µ (the dynamic viscosity coefficient) to come up to be 4.5kg/(ms).

Then I went on to find τ (Shear Stress) to be 7.2

And this is basically where I get stuck. Once again, I have no idea if I am on the correct path as this is my first time doing this kind of question =/

velocity gradient = v/t

v = peripheral velocity, t = film thickness

viscous shear force = [itex]\eta[/itex] x velocity gradient

viscous force on shaft = shear stress x surface area

power absobed by friction = viscous force x peripheral velocity

Is this enough help?

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that can change the state of motion or shape of an object. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

2. How is force related to oil and shaft?

In the context of "Find the force exerted by the oil on the shaft", force is the measure of the interaction between the oil and the shaft. It represents the amount of energy that the oil transfers to the shaft, causing it to move or change its shape.

3. What factors affect the force exerted by the oil on the shaft?

The force exerted by the oil on the shaft can be affected by several factors, including the viscosity of the oil, the speed of the shaft, the surface area of the shaft, and the type of oil being used. Additionally, the force can also be influenced by external forces, such as gravity or friction.

4. How can I calculate the force exerted by the oil on the shaft?

The force exerted by the oil on the shaft can be calculated using the formula F = μA(v1-v2), where F is the force, μ is the viscosity of the oil, A is the surface area of the shaft, and (v1-v2) is the speed difference between the oil and the shaft. Alternatively, the force can also be determined experimentally by measuring the change in momentum of the oil and the shaft.

5. Why is it important to find the force exerted by the oil on the shaft?

Understanding the force exerted by the oil on the shaft is crucial in designing and maintaining machinery and equipment that involves the use of oil. It helps ensure that the oil and shaft are properly matched and can operate effectively, as well as identify any potential issues or inefficiencies in the system.