1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the integral of ln(x)/sqrt(x) as x is between 0 and 1

1. Jul 13, 2006 #1
    Hi Im trying to figure out the following..Ive tried substitutions but cant find any that work:

[tex]\int_0^1 \frac{lnx}{ \sqrt x}dx[/tex]

HA @ 0 so
    [tex]\int_0^1 \frac{lnx}{ \sqrt x} dx[/tex]
    =
    [tex]\lim_{t\rightarrow 0^+} \int_t^1 \frac{lnx}{\sqrt x}dx[/tex]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Try the substitution u=sqrt(x).

4. Jul 13, 2006 #3
    so....2du=1/root(x)dx.. it becomes just ln(u^2)?

5. Jul 13, 2006 #4
    if this is right I end up with

[tex]\lim_{t\rightarrow 0^+} 2 - \frac{s\sqrt t}{t}[/tex]

so would this be divergent?

6. Jul 13, 2006 #5

StatusX

Homework Helper

I don't know what s is there, but yes, this is divergent. Another way to find this is to note that this function is less than ln(x), whose integral diverges to negative infinity on this interval.

7. Jul 13, 2006 #6
    ok, the s should be a two...so basically if the integral ever has [tex] \frac{a}{0}[/tex]...then it is called divergent?..or whenever an answer cannot be found..it is divergent?

8. Jul 13, 2006 #7

StatusX

Homework Helper

This integral is divergent because the limit you mention in your first post is infinity. "if the integral ever has a/0" isn't precise enough an expression for me to say anything meaningful about. In general, for improper integrals like this one, you have to take a limit as you approach vertical asymptopes or as [itex]x \rightarrow \pm \infty[/tex]. If the result after taking all these limits is infinity, the integral is said to diverge. Whether you can find the answer or not is your problem, not the integral's.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?