Find the intrinsic carrier density

In summary, the intrinsic carrier density is the number of charge carriers in a pure semiconductor material at thermal equilibrium. It can be calculated using the band gap energy, effective mass of electrons and holes, and temperature and is influenced by temperature, band gap energy, and effective masses. This parameter is crucial in understanding the electrical properties of a semiconductor material and plays a role in the design of electronic devices. It differs from the extrinsic carrier density, which takes into account the additional charge carriers introduced by doping the material with impurities.
rahulbhowmick

Homework Statement

The effective masses of n- and p-carriers in a semiconductor are given by mn* = 0.067me and mp* = 0.48me respectively. The gap width of the semiconductor is 1.45 eV. Use this information to find the intrinsic carrier density at 440 K.

Homework Equations

I have no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I obviously had no attempt because I didn't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest looking up the equation. It is very easy to find. Just google "intrinsic carrier density". Good luck.

What is the intrinsic carrier density?

The intrinsic carrier density, also known as the intrinsic concentration, is the number of charge carriers (electrons or holes) per unit volume in a pure semiconductor material at thermal equilibrium, i.e. when no external voltage is applied.

How is the intrinsic carrier density calculated?

The intrinsic carrier density can be calculated using the band gap energy, effective mass of electrons and holes, and temperature. It can be expressed mathematically as ni = Nc * Nv * exp(-Eg/2kT), where ni is the intrinsic carrier density, Nc is the effective density of states in the conduction band, Nv is the effective density of states in the valence band, Eg is the band gap energy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

What factors affect the intrinsic carrier density?

The intrinsic carrier density is affected by temperature, band gap energy, and the effective masses of electrons and holes. It is also dependent on the type of semiconductor material, as different materials have different values for their intrinsic carrier density.

Why is the intrinsic carrier density important?

The intrinsic carrier density is an important parameter in determining the electrical properties of a semiconductor material. It helps in understanding the conductivity, resistivity, and other characteristics of the material. It is also used in the design and fabrication of electronic devices such as transistors and diodes.

How is the intrinsic carrier density different from the extrinsic carrier density?

The intrinsic carrier density is the number of charge carriers in a pure semiconductor material, while the extrinsic carrier density includes both the intrinsic carrier density and the additional charge carriers introduced by doping the material with impurities. The extrinsic carrier density can be controlled by the amount and type of dopants, whereas the intrinsic carrier density is an inherent property of the material.