1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate Minority Carrier Concentrations given the Fermi Level

1. Oct 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question is based on a previous question in the same homework:

The Problems deal with Silicon at 300K, using band gap energy Eg = 1.12 eV, electron density of states mass 0.327, hole mass 0.39, electron mobility 0.15 m2/Vs, hole mobility 0.05 m2/Vs and relative permittivity 11.8.

1) Consider a pn junction in Si at 300K (other parameters given), with doping NA = 1021/m3 and ND = 1023/m3. Assume all impurities are ionized. On this basis find the Fermi level on each side. From this find the band bending VB and make a sketch of the pn junction.

This problem has been solved and its thread is here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=713644

5) Following your results for the Fermi Levels in Problem 1
    a) Find the minority carrier concentrations (holes on the N-side, electrons on the P-side).
    b) Repeat the calculation for the minority carrier concentrations using the mass action law and the intrinsic concentration 5.85E15/m3

2. Relevant equations
    I found this equation while searching online relating minority and majority carriers
    [itex]n^{2}_{i} = n_p N_A = p_n N_D[/itex]

Where np is the minority concentration of electrons and pn is that of holes. But this leaves me with two variables and one equation.

3. The attempt at a solution

Based on the first problem, I have numbers for the Fermi level (EF) on both sides. If you are curious they are 0.974 eV (N-side) and 0.226 eV (P-side). However, I don't know of any way to relate the Fermi level with ni or the minority concentrations in the above equation.

As far as I know
    [itex]N_e \times N_h = N^2_i \neq n^2_i [/itex]

Where Ne and Nh are the majority concentrations (known).

Does anyone know a relation I can use to solve for these minority concentrations?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted