Find the limit of sequence (trig term)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of two sequences and using different methods to solve the problem. The first sequence involves using the boundedness of a sequence to show that it converges to zero, while the second sequence requires the use of L'Hopital's Rule to find the limit. The conversation also highlights the importance of showing that a sequence lies between two other sequences in order to prove convergence.
izen

Homework Statement

find the limit of this sequence

1) An = [itex]\frac{\sqrt{n} sin (n! e^{n})}{n+1}[/itex]

2) An = [itex] 4n^{3} sin\frac{1}{n^{3}} [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(1)
|sin n! e^n)| ≤1

|An| ≤ [itex]\frac{ \sqrt{n} }{n+1}[/itex]

|An| ≤ [itex]\frac{ \sqrt{n}/n }{n/n+1/n}[/itex] = 0

lim[itex] _{n\rightarrow \infty}[/itex] An = 0 √

==========================

(2)

[itex]|sin \frac{1}{n^{3}}| [/itex] ≤ 1
An ≤ [itex] 4 n^{3} [/itex]
lim[itex] _{n\rightarrow \infty}[/itex] An = ∞ X

The second question my answer is wrong
I should get 4. and the answer shows that I have to use L' Hospital's
My question is why I cannot apply the method from the first question to the second question.
It just confused me I am not sure but my solution on the first question anyway but I got the right answer please comment on that too please !

thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
izen said:

Homework Statement

find the limit of this sequence

1) An = [itex]\frac{\sqrt{n} sin (n! e^{n})}{n+1}[/itex]

2) An = [itex] 4n^{3} sin\frac{1}{n^{3}} [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(1)
|sin n! e^n)| ≤1

|An| ≤ [itex]\frac{ \sqrt{n} }{n+1}[/itex]

|An| ≤ [itex]\frac{ \sqrt{n}/n }{n/n+1/n}[/itex] = 0

lim[itex] _{n\rightarrow \infty}[/itex] An = 0 √

==========================

(2)

[itex]|sin \frac{1}{n^{3}}| [/itex] ≤ 1
An ≤ [itex] 4 n^{3} [/itex]
lim[itex] _{n\rightarrow \infty}[/itex] An = ∞ X

The second question my answer is wrong
I should get 4. and the answer shows that I have to use L' Hospital's
My question is why I cannot apply the method from the first question to the second question.
It just confused me I am not sure but my solution on the first question anyway but I got the right answer please comment on that too please !

thank you for your help
As n→∞, 1/n3 → 0 so sin(1/n3) → 0.

So that, 4n3 sin(1/n3) is indeterminate of the form ∞∙0 .

Even if have a sequence such as [itex]\displaystyle 4n^3\sin(n)[/itex] your method will give an incorrect result because sin(n) oscillates from near -1 to near +1 .

Last edited:
For the second question, replace n with 1/h where h->0. Then use L'Hopital's Rule.

SammyS said:
As n→∞, 1/n2 → 0 so sin(1/n2) → 0.

So that, 4n3 sin(1/n2) is indeterminate of the form ∞∙0 .

Even if have a sequence such as [itex]\displaystyle 4n^3\sin(n)[/itex] your method will give an incorrect result because sin(n) oscillates from near -1 to near +1 .

What I don't understand is why it works on the first question but the second question. still don't get it. thanks for the comments

Pranav-Arora said:
For the second question, replace n with 1/h where h->0. Then use L'Hopital's Rule.

why we can set h->0 I have seen that method but I don't get it why n-> infinity can change to h->0. sorry if I asked such a stupid question. thanks for the comments

SammyS said:
As n→∞, 1/n2 → 0 so sin(1/n2) → 0.
So that, 4n3 sin(1/n2) is indeterminate of the form ∞∙0 .
The question has 1/n3, not 1/n2.
izen, lim n→∞ n3 sin(1/n3) must be the same as lim n→∞ n sin(1/n), right? Does that help?
izen said:
why we can set h->0 I have seen that method but I don't get it why n-> infinity can change to h->0.
It's just a change of variable. Define h = 1/n, then n sin(1/n) = sin(h)/h, and the limit of n sin(1/n) as n→∞ must be the same as lim sin(h)/h as h→0. Having converted it to a problem with a finite limit point you can use l'Hopital's rule.

I need time to think about your say. Thank you so much haruspex :)

haruspex said:
It's just a change of variable. Define h = 1/n, then n sin(1/n) = sin(h)/h, and the limit of n sin(1/n) as n→∞ must be the same as lim sin(h)/h as h→0. Having converted it to a problem with a finite limit point you can use l'Hopital's rule.

so it means lim n→∞ 1/n = 0 so if we define h=1/n. the limit of 'h' needs to be equal to 1/n by setting lim h→0 h = 0. Am i understand it right ?

izen said:
What I don't understand is why it works on the first question but the second question. still don't get it. thanks for the comments
Consider a sequence, {An}, such that the each individual term is given by,
An = Bn∙Cn
where {Bn} is bounded above and below, but does not converge.

If {Cn} converges to zero, then so does {An}.

Otherwise, {An} does not converge -- no matter whether {Cn} converges or not.
Your first problem is a case of the above.Your second problem does not nearly fit the above requirements.

Yes, the sequence {sin(1/n3)} is bounded, but more than that, this sequence converges to zero.* The sequence {4n3} → +∞ as n → ∞ . So, the term by term product of these sequences may or may not converge based upon other totally different criteria.
* The sequence {1/n3} converges to zero, and sin(0) = 0 .

Last edited:
In your first question you show that your sequence lies beetween two sequence that both goes to zero 0≤An≤0 this implies An → 0
It's important that you show that it lies BEETWEEN two sequences.

In your secondo question you show that your question is less than infinity, that does not make it go to infinity though. An could go 2, which is less than infinity, or -10 which is less than infinity, or -∞ which is less than infinity.

izen said:
so it means lim n→∞ 1/n = 0 so if we define h=1/n. the limit of 'h' needs to be equal to 1/n by setting lim h→0 h = 0. Am i understand it right ?

Yes.

i get it now
thank you u guys all

FAQ: Find the limit of sequence (trig term)

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term.

2. What is a limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the number of terms increases. It is often denoted as lim n → ∞ an, where an is the nth term of the sequence.

3. How do you find the limit of a sequence with a trigonometric term?

To find the limit of a sequence with a trigonometric term, you can use the fact that the limit of a sum of two sequences is equal to the sum of the limits of each sequence. This means you can simplify the sequence by separating the trigonometric term and the non-trigonometric term, and then find the limit of each term separately.

4. What are some common trigonometric terms used in sequences?

Some common trigonometric terms used in sequences include sine, cosine, tangent, and cotangent. These terms are often used in sequences involving angles, such as in geometric or harmonic sequences.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the limit of a sequence with a trigonometric term?

Yes, there are special cases when finding the limit of a sequence with a trigonometric term. These include sequences with alternating positive and negative terms, or sequences with infinite or undefined terms. In these cases, you may need to use additional techniques, such as the squeeze theorem, to find the limit.