Find the line that gives constant area in odd shape

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of computing the new position of a line in an irregular 5-sided shape in order to maintain a constant shaded area. The conversation explores different approaches to solving this problem, including using algebra and iteration. The ultimate goal is to be able to compute the line for any angle of rotation. The application of this problem is not specified.
MD11
Hi,

This is my first post here. I think my question is relevant to the area of calculus hence posting here.

In short: I suck at mathematics after years of trying, and I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with.

Full disclosure: this is for a commercial project, so if that is not allowed, my apologies in advance.

Imagine I have an irregular 5-sided closed shape (Figure A). I draw a line horizontally through the shape, cutting it into two areas. Let's shade the bottom area, and call this area A.

Imagine I now rotate the shape (Figure B), but my line remains in the same position horizontally on the page.

How do I compute the new position of the line in order that area A remains constant? How would I compute this line for any angle?

Many thanks in advance.

MD11.

Attachments

• area.png
    area.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I have an algebra-heavy way. There might be an easier way but I can't think of it right now.Lets say that the shape in figure A is a rectangle of width ##W## and height ##H## that has a triangle of width ##w## and height ##h## cut out of it. This would mean that the total area of the shape is ##(W\cdot H) - (\frac{1}{2}\cdot w\cdot h)##

Assuming that the 'cut-out triangle' will always be below the shaded line in Figure A, the area of the shaded figure when the top line is at height ##L_1## is ##(W\cdot L_1) - (\frac{1}{2}\cdot w\cdot h)##, and let's call this number ##A##.

Now moving over to the second figure, Assuming that the 'cut-out triangle' is always over the line in this figure. The question is what is the height ##L_2## of the line such that the area under the line is equal to ##A##.
Realize the height in the first figure is now the width of the second figure, and the area of the shaded region in figure 2 is ##H\cdot L_2##, and we want to set it equal to ##A##.
This leads to ##(W\cdot L_1)-(\frac{w\cdot h}{2}) = H\cdot L_2##
Solving for ##L_2##, which is what you are trying to find, you get: ##L_2=\frac{(W\cdot L_1)-(\frac{w\cdot h}{2})}{H}## where ##W## is the width in figure 1, ##L_1## is the height of the line in figure 1, ##w## is the width of the cut-out triangle, ##h## is the height of the cut-out triangle, ##H## in the height in figure 1, and ##L_2## is what you are looking for: the height of the line in the second figure.

I'm not sure how much this would change if you both removed the restriction of the position of the triangle and allowed the triangle to be at any angle. I'm not positive it'd require calculus, but it would definitely need trig, and it will definitely be more complicated, so I'll save it until I know you need it.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

I would need to be able to compute the line for any angle of the box, with area A remaining constant (the line need not be perpendicular to the edges of the box).

Thanks again!

MD11.

In the absence of using algebra, sometimes iteration can determine the position of the line such that the area A remains constant with rotation of the figure.

What is the application?

Question 1: What is the purpose of finding the line that gives constant area in an odd shape?

Finding the line that gives constant area in an odd shape allows us to accurately measure the area of a complex or irregular shape. This can be useful in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and geography.

Question 2: How do you find the line that gives constant area in an odd shape?

To find the line that gives constant area in an odd shape, we can use the method of triangulation. This involves dividing the shape into smaller, simpler shapes such as triangles, and then using mathematical formulas to calculate the area of each triangle. The sum of these areas will give us the total area of the odd shape.

Question 3: Can the line that gives constant area in an odd shape be a curved line?

Yes, the line that gives constant area in an odd shape can be a curved line. In fact, it is often easier to find the line of constant area in an odd shape when it is curved, as it allows for more accurate measurements and calculations.

Question 4: Are there any limitations to finding the line that gives constant area in an odd shape?

One limitation of finding the line that gives constant area in an odd shape is that it can be a time-consuming and complex process, especially for shapes with many curves and angles. Additionally, this method may not work for shapes with holes or concave regions.

Question 5: How can finding the line that gives constant area in an odd shape benefit society?

Finding the line that gives constant area in an odd shape has many practical applications that can benefit society. For example, it can help architects and engineers accurately calculate the area of irregularly shaped structures, assist in land surveying and mapping, and aid in determining the volume of objects such as mountains and lakes.