Find the minimum premeter for a rectangle?

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the least amount of fencing that will be required when the length of the field is twice its width.
Brown Arrow

Homework Statement

A rectangular field to contain a given area is fenced off, along a stright river. if no fencing is required along the river, show that the lest amount of fencing will be required when the length of the field is twice its width.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

i really don't get how to solve this,
my attempt:
1037vyx.jpg

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to maximize the Area, not the Perimeter !

but they said they want to minimize the fencing.

even if i did A=lXW, i would end up with A=2w2
if i derive it i get A'=4W, and W=0; ?? i don't get it sorry.

@Sammy : The area is given, isn't it?? Why would he want to maximize the area? He has to use the given relation for the area, put it in the perimeter relation and then differentiate it with respect to either length or breadth...find stationary points(where d/dl or d/db is 0) and then use a double differential test to check for maxima or minima.
Also, note how one side will not be fenced. That means a little change in the perimeter relation.

That means something like P = L + 2B and A = L * B. Put A in P to get P = L + 2A/L where A is constant. Find dP/dL and proceed as I said.

so if do it like this:
34e547a.jpg

but i still don't get it, are we not using the fact l=2w, if we did here i would get w=(Ao/(2))1/2

then it doesn't make any sense

SVXX said:
@Sammy : The area is given, isn't it?? Why would he want to maximize the area? He has to use the given relation for the area, put it in the perimeter relation and then differentiate it with respect to either length or breadth...find stationary points(where d/dl or d/db is 0) and then use a double differential test to check for maxima or minima.
Also, note how one side will not be fenced. That means a little change in the perimeter relation.

That means something like P = L + 2B and A = L * B. Put A in P to get P = L + 2A/L where A is constant. Find dP/dL and proceed as I said.
Yes, I suppose that's correct.

Then A is constant, so A' = 0.

Then P' = 2-(A/W2).

but P' = 0 at min.

0 = 2-(A/W2).

Solve for W.

This does work out!

What is the minimum perimeter for a rectangle?

The minimum perimeter for a rectangle is achieved when the rectangle is a square, with all sides equal in length.

How do I find the minimum perimeter for a rectangle?

To find the minimum perimeter for a rectangle, you can use the formula P = 4s, where P is the perimeter and s is the length of one side of the rectangle. Set s equal to the minimum length and solve for P.

What is the relationship between a rectangle's perimeter and its area?

The perimeter of a rectangle is directly proportional to its area. This means that as the perimeter increases, so does the area of the rectangle.

Why is finding the minimum perimeter for a rectangle important?

Finding the minimum perimeter for a rectangle can be important in certain situations, such as when trying to minimize the amount of fencing needed for a given area. It can also be a useful skill in mathematical problem-solving.

Can the minimum perimeter for a rectangle be negative?

No, the minimum perimeter for a rectangle cannot be negative. Perimeter is a measurement of distance and cannot be negative in value.