1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the period of oscillation of a little charged ring

1. Apr 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the period of oscillation, T, of a little charged ring that is free to move along a vertical wire when placed equi-distant between two like charges above and below it. Small displacement only. Treat the “little” ring like a point charge and use the binomial expansion for small “x” to reduce the net force on the ring to a linear Hooke’s law style force.

2. Relevant equations
    T= 2pi*sqrt(m/k)
    E = k*dq/r^2
    F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since there are two charges and a point essentially you can calculate the electric field at a point p on the wire. Afterwards you can use F = ma at the field since F = qE = ma.

Am, I wrong about my thinking here. I really just want some help setting this up as in how I should start.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Also assume the "wire" is an electrically neutral insulator, but it sounds reasonable so far.
    Keep going.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted