Find the Riemannian curvature tensor component

In summary, the gravitational field of a central gravitational body has the following equation:ds2 = -ev(r)dt2 + eμ(r)dr2 + r2 (dθ2 + sin2θdΦ2)And the Christoffel connection components:Find the Riemannian curvature tensor component R0110.R0110 = 0.5v'' + Γρ10Γ01ρ - Γ011Γρ0ρ
Tom Weaver
Given the metric of the gravitational field of a central gravitational body:

ds2 = -ev(r)dt2 + eμ(r)dr2 + r2 (dθ2 + sin2θdΦ2)

And the Chritofell connection components:

361c882fb4714b209f951c04bd9e9f1c.png

Find the Riemannian curvature tensor component R0110 (which is non-zero).

I believe the answer uses the Ricci tensor:

Rμv = Rλμvλ = Γλμλ,v - Γλμv,λ + ΓρμλΓλ - ΓλμvΓρλρ

This is far as I've got:

R0110 = Γ010,1 - Γ011,0 + Γρ10Γ0 - Γ011Γρ

R0110 = 0.5v'' + Γρ10Γ0 - Γ011Γρ

I'm not entirely sure on the meaning of ρ, at first I thought it would cycle through 0, 1, 2 and 3 to represent the 4 dimensions but after working that through I found it didn't work. Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom Weaver said:
I believe the answer uses the Ricci tensor:

Rμv = Rλμvλ

Hello.

The summation convention implies that the right-hand side is summed over ##\lambda = 0, 1, 2, 3##. You cannot just set ##\lambda = 0## on the right-hand side (and ##\mu = 1##, ##\nu = 1##) in order to claim that ##R_{11} = R^0_{\; 110}##.

Likes Tom Weaver
TSny said:
Hello.

The summation convention implies that the right-hand side is summed over ##\lambda = 0, 1, 2, 3##. You cannot just set ##\lambda = 0## on the right-hand side (and ##\mu = 1##, ##\nu = 1##) in order to claim that ##R_{11} = R^0_{\; 110}##.

Brilliant thank you! Am I right at least in using the Ricci tensor? If so, what's the significance of ρ?

In the Ricci tensor, ##\rho## is a repeated index. So it plays the role of a summation index.

I don't see how the Ricci tensor is going to be helpful for this problem. Instead, use the fundamental expression for ##R^\mu_{\; \nu \alpha \beta}## in terms of the Christoffel symbols.

Rρλμν = - Γρλμ,ν + Γρλν,μ - ΓσλμΓρσν + ΓρλνΓρσμ

R0110 = - Γ011,0 + Γ010,μ1 - Γσ11Γ0σ0 + Γσ10Γ0σ1

R0110 = - (Γ011Γ000 + Γ111Γ010 + Γ211Γ020 + Γ311Γ030) + (Γ010Γ001110Γ011 + Γ210Γ021 + Γ310Γ031)

R0110 = - (0 + 0.5v'*0.5μ' + 0 + 0) + ((0.5v')2 + 0 + 0 + 0)

R0110 = (0.5v')2 - 0.25 ν' μ'

I'm still unsure of what σ is, again, thank you for your help.

Tom Weaver said:
Rρλμν = - Γρλμ,ν + Γρλν,μ - ΓσλμΓρσν + ΓρλνΓρσμ
You have a typographical error in the last term. Can you spot it?

R0110 = - Γ011,0 + Γ010,μ1 - Γσ11Γ0σ0 + Γσ10Γ0σ1
OK, except for the ##\mu## subscript in the second term on the right. Did you mean for that to be there? When going to the next line (3rd line in your post), you have dropped the first two terms of the second line. Although one of these terms is zero, the other one is not zero. Every thing else looks OK to me. So, I think your final result is correct except for the term that you dropped that is not zero.

I'm still unsure of what σ is, again, thank you for your help.
##\sigma## is a summation index because is appears twice in a term; once as a superscript and once as a subscript. It looks to me that you handled ##\sigma## correctly.

Great thank you! Your help is greatly appreciated!

1. What is the Riemannian curvature tensor component?

The Riemannian curvature tensor component is a mathematical object that describes the curvature of a Riemannian manifold. It is a 4th-order tensor that contains information about how the curvature of the manifold changes in different directions at a given point.

2. How is the Riemannian curvature tensor component calculated?

The Riemannian curvature tensor component is calculated using the Christoffel symbols, which are derived from the metric tensor of the manifold. The calculation involves taking derivatives of the Christoffel symbols and performing some tensor algebra operations.

3. What is the significance of the Riemannian curvature tensor component?

The Riemannian curvature tensor component is significant because it provides a way to measure the curvature of a manifold, which is an important property in differential geometry. It also plays a crucial role in Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes the curvature of spacetime.

4. How does the Riemannian curvature tensor component relate to the Gaussian curvature?

The Riemannian curvature tensor component is related to the Gaussian curvature through its components in a specific coordinate system. Specifically, the Gaussian curvature is equal to the determinant of the Riemannian curvature tensor component divided by the determinant of the metric tensor.

5. Are there any applications of the Riemannian curvature tensor component?

Yes, the Riemannian curvature tensor component has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is used to study the geometry of manifolds, to understand the behavior of particles in curved spacetime, and to analyze the properties of surfaces in differential geometry. It also has applications in computer graphics, where it is used to model the shape of objects in 3D spaces.