Solving an Initial Value Problem with a Matrix and a Given Vector: A Case Study

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ivp
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using the matrix A and initial condition v. The solution is found by calculating e^(tA)v and the importance of the hint provided is also mentioned. The individual's solution is deemed correct, but they received a lower grade due to a mistake in the placement of v. They plan to email the professor for potential points and review their work to determine if they should ask for more points.
Shackleford
x' = Ax, x(0) = v,

where A is the matrix in problem 6 and v = [1,2]^T. Do not use the eigenvalues and the eigenvectors of A. (Hint A^2v = 0).A = [ (1, -1)^T (1, -1)^T ]

All I did was calculate e^(tA)v = v[I + tA].

In this case, an IVP, x(t) is the solution. x(t) = e^(tA)v.

Since I wasn't asked to find a fundamental set of solutions, I didn't need to calculate e^(tA)v for every v that's a basis in R^n, right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks good to me, and working with the exponential was the way to go. That's the reason for hint, I'm pretty sure.

e^(tA) = I + tA =
[t+1 t]
[-t -t+1]
solves the differential equation, and x(0) = v, so all is good.

Mark44 said:
Your solution looks good to me, and working with the exponential was the way to go. That's the reason for hint, I'm pretty sure.

e^(tA) = I + tA =
[t+1 t]
[-t -t+1]
solves the differential equation, and x(0) = v, so all is good.

Yeah. I figured that. I guess I'm a little fuzzy on why you don't have to use the general procedure. They have a little proof in the book which is fairly straightforward. I understand that.

Well, I got my exam back today after the 2.5-hour long final.

I only got 5/15 for that work. Apparently, and rightfully so, I had the v on the wrong side. I Also forgot to to put the v in tAv.

I want to email the professor for points on that problem and another one. Are you sure I did it correctly? I'll probably scan the questions and my work to see if I should ask for more points.

1. What is an initial value problem (IVP)?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation that involves a function and its derivatives, along with an initial condition. The goal is to find the solution to the equation that satisfies the initial condition.

2. How do you find the solution to an IVP?

To find the solution to an IVP, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor. These methods involve manipulating the equation until you can find the solution that satisfies the initial condition.

3. What is the importance of finding the solution to an IVP?

Solving an IVP allows us to understand the behavior of a system over time. This is useful in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics, as it helps us make predictions and analyze the dynamics of the system in question.

4. Is there a general formula for solving any IVP?

No, there is no general formula for solving any IVP. The method used to solve an IVP depends on the type of differential equation and the initial condition given. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and choose the appropriate method for finding the solution.

5. Can a computer be used to find the solution to an IVP?

Yes, a computer can be used to find the solution to an IVP. There are various software programs and numerical methods that can be used to approximate the solution to an IVP. However, it is still important to understand the underlying theory and concepts behind solving an IVP.