Find the surface area of the given solid

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which the limits of integration are not clearly defined. The given parametric curve lies in Quadrants I and IV and is unbounded, so additional constraints are needed for the limits of integration. The provided formula for surface area also contains errors. It is recommended to seek alternative sources for information on calculating surface area.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
Parametric equations
My question is on how did they determine the limits of integration i.e ##2## and ##3## as highlighted? Thanks

1672655066320.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement is incomplete.

I meant that the problem statement did not include the limits, i.e., poorly written.

Last edited:
Likes chwala
Frabjous said:
I meant that the problem statement did not include the limits, i.e., poorly written.
I agree. The graph of the parametric curve ##x = t^2, y = t^3## lies in Quadrants I and IV, and is unbounded. There has to be additional but unstated constraints for the limits of integration that are shown.

Likes chwala
@chwala : It seems in your square root, you're using ##\frac {dx}{dt} ##twice, rather than what I believe is correct, ##\frac {dx}{dt}, \frac{dy}{dt}##

WWGD said:
@chwala : It seems in your square root, you're using ##\frac {dx}{dt} ##twice, rather than what I believe is correct, ##\frac {dx}{dt}, \frac{dy}{dt}##
@WWGD This is not my working rather notes that i came across as indicated by the given internet link;

yes, there is a mistake there... it ought to be

$$Surface area (y-axis) = 2π \int_ a^b x(t)\sqrt{(x^{'})^2+(y{'})^2}$$

where

$$x^{'}=\dfrac{dx}{dt}$$

$$y^{'}=\dfrac{dy}{dt}$$

Likes WWGD
Since there seems to be two errors on that page, the missing information about boundaries, and the formula for surface area, perhaps you should look elsewhere for information on how to calculate surface area.

Likes chwala

1. How do I find the surface area of a solid?

To find the surface area of a solid, you need to calculate the area of each individual face or surface and then add them together. This will give you the total surface area of the solid.

2. What is the formula for finding the surface area of a solid?

The formula for finding the surface area of a solid will depend on the shape of the solid. For example, the formula for a cube is 6a², where a is the length of one side. It is important to know the specific formula for the shape of the solid you are working with.

3. Can I use the same formula for finding the surface area of any solid?

No, each shape has its own specific formula for finding the surface area. However, there are some general formulas that can be used for certain types of solids, such as the formula for finding the surface area of a prism, which is 2B + Ph, where B is the base area, P is the perimeter of the base, and h is the height of the prism.

4. What units should I use when finding the surface area of a solid?

The units used for measuring surface area will depend on the units used for measuring the dimensions of the solid. For example, if the dimensions are given in centimeters, the surface area will be in square centimeters. It is important to keep the units consistent throughout your calculations.

5. How can I check if my answer for the surface area of a solid is correct?

You can check your answer by using a different method to calculate the surface area or by using a formula for a different shape that also applies to the solid. Additionally, you can use a calculator or online calculator to verify your answer.