What is the value of these two limits when x tends to zero?

• Thread starter shivam01anand
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Value
In summary, the conversation is about finding the limit of two questions involving the gint function and trigonometric functions as x tends to zero. The first question has a limit of 1, while the second question has a limit of 0. There is also a discussion about using de L'Hospital's rule and Taylor series to solve these types of problems. The gint function is also defined as the greatest integer less than or equal to a given number.
shivam01anand

Homework Statement

Find the value of the limit of the following two questions when x is tending to zero.

Homework Equations

[ (tan x)/(x) ]
[ (sin x ) / ( x ) ]

Where [ ] is the gint function..

The Attempt at a Solution

If the question was w/o gint then both these limits were 1 (right?)

But for gint have to check the graph of

y=x , y=sinx ,y=tanx,

so graph of tanx is above x which is above sinx ( x just after 0 )

So 1st q answer=1

2nd q answer=0

Why is this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answers. What are the given answers?

unfortunately i don't have the answers with me atm but ill post as soon as i get my hands on them.

here's another question similar to this{pointless to make a new post out of it}

[x^2/sinxtanx] where again [] is the gint function.

so i look at it like two functions.

(x/sinx)(x/tanx) one is tending to just below 0 while the other just greater than 1 but what will happen with the gint :x

Help!

shivam01anand said:
unfortunately i don't have the answers with me atm but ill post as soon as i get my hands on them.

here's another question similar to this{pointless to make a new post out of it}

[x^2/sinxtanx] where again [] is the gint function.

so i look at it like two functions.

(x/sinx)(x/tanx) one is tending to just below 0 while the other just greater than 1 but what will happen with the gint :x

Help!

You mean, one is tending to just below 1 while the other just greater than 1, right?
Yes, separating them like that is not going to help.
It might help to boil the trig functions down to one trig function. I tried replacing the tan with sin/cos, but that didn't help. Do you know the "tan-half-angle" formulae, i.e. how sin(x), cos(x), tan(x) can be written in terms of t = tan(x/2)?

You mean sin2x= 2tanx/1+tan^2(x)?

Dont really think this is helping :X

shivam01anand said:
You mean sin2x= 2tanx/1+tan^2(x)?

Dont really think this is helping :X
It works for me. Please post what you get. (I wrote u = x/2, t = tan(u), and converted all to an expression using t and u.)

okay you're right it worked for this question and certain similar question related to gint and sinx in it

Thanks!

Will keep this in mind :D

These are typical examples for the use of de L'Hospital's rule or (equivalently) doing a series expansion of numerator and denominator around the limit of [itex]x[/itex] (i.e., here around [itex]x=0[/itex]).

how does one apply L'h rule when the functions like gint/ fraction etc are involved?

If the functions are not differentiable, that is not possible in a direct way. It can still help in some way (that depends on the function), but you still have to consider the gint brackets.

vanhees71 said:
Ok, I've overlooked this "gint function". What the heck is it? I've never heard about it. Is this something like the floor or ceiling functions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floor_function

I assume it's ceiling. You can also attack problems like this by looking at the taylor series of the differentiable part around x=0.

Last edited:
gint(x)= greatest integer equal to or less than x.
I'm sorry for not naming it aptly ( this is what the folks call it down here)

Hmm "dick" i hear what you're saying.

Thank you.

What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is a fundamental concept that refers to the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value or infinity. It is used to study the behavior of a function near a specific point.

How do you find the value of a limit?

To find the value of a limit, you can use various techniques such as direct substitution, factoring, rationalization, and L'Hopital's rule. These methods involve manipulating the function algebraically to simplify it and then plugging in the desired value to evaluate the limit.

When is a limit undefined?

A limit is undefined when the function does not approach a specific value or approaches different values from the left and right sides of the desired point. This typically occurs when there is a discontinuity, infinite oscillation, or an asymptote in the function.

Can a limit exist but not be equal to the function's value?

Yes, a limit can exist but not be equal to the function's value at a specific point. This happens when the function is not defined at that point or has a jump or discontinuity. In such cases, the limit is still useful in understanding the behavior of the function near that point.

Why are limits important in calculus?

Limits are important in calculus because they help us understand the behavior of functions and their graphs near specific points. They are used to define derivatives and integrals, which are essential concepts in calculus and are used in many practical applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics.