Find the values of the parameter "q"

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parameter
In summary, the problem asks for the sum of all positive real values of the parameter $q$ for which the equation $(x^2+4x+4+136)^2=16q(5x^2+4x+136)$ has exactly three distinct real solutions. The original equation can be rewritten as $(x^2+4x+136+4q)^2=16q(4x^2+x^2+4x+136)$ and if we let $k=x^2+4x+136$, the equation becomes $(k+4q)^2=16q(4x^2+k)$. Expanding both sides
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi MHB,

Problem:

Find the sum of all positive real values of the parameter $q$ for which the equation $(x^2+4x+4+136)^2=16q(5x^2+4x+136)$ has exactly three distinct real solutions.

Answer:
$q=9$ and $q=34$.

I am aware the question is actually asking us to find all possible values of $q$ when the given quartic equation has one repeated real root, and two other distinct real roots.

Attempt:

The original equation $(x^2+4x+4q+136)^2=16q(5x^2+4x+136)$ can be rewritten as

$(x^2+4x+136+4q)^2=16q(4x^2+x^2+4x+136)$

If I let $k=x^2+4x+136$, the equation above becomes

$(k+4q)^2=16q(4x^2+k)$

Expanding both sides of the equation and then rearranging them as a quadratic equation in terms of $k$, we have

$k^2+8qk+16q^2=64qx^2+16qk$

$k^2-8qk-64qx^2+16q^2=0$

$(k-4q)^2-16q^2-64qx^2+16q^2=0$

$(k-4q)^2-64qx^2=0$

$(k-4q-8x\sqrt{q})(k-4q+8x\sqrt{q})=0$

Replacing the expression for $k$ back into the equation above, we get

$(x^2+4x+136-4q-8x\sqrt{q})(x^2+4x+136-4q+8x\sqrt{q})=0$

And in order to satisfy the requirement set by the problem and to find all possible values of $q$, we can do so by equating the discriminants of the quadratic factors, one after another and we should expect two $q$ values to be found.

Hence, by equating the discriminant for the first factor $x^2+4x+136-4q-8x\sqrt{q}=0$ to zero, we obtain:

$(4-8\sqrt{q})^2-4(136-4q)=0$

$\sqrt{q}=3$ or $\sqrt{q}=-2.2$ and since $\sqrt{q}>0$, we get $q=9$ as one of the solutions.

Now, if we set the discriminant of the second factor as zero, we get:

$(4+8\sqrt{q})^2-4(136-4q)=0$

$\sqrt{q}=-3$ or $\sqrt{q}=2.2$ and since $\sqrt{q}>0$, we get $q=4.84$ as the other solution.

I checked the answer when $q=2.2$ and we would only get all 4 complex roots if $q=2.2$ but with $q=9$, everything is fine as is.

My question is, I don't know how to find the answer where $q=34$...any ideas?

By the way, I know there must be other ways to approach this problem, so if you don't wish to go through my silly attempt, I welcome you to post another method to solve the problem and I will appreciate whatever help that you are going to offer me.

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Problem:

Find the sum of all positive real values of the parameter $q$ for which the equation $(x^2+4x+4+136)^2=16q(5x^2+4x+136)$ has exactly three distinct real solutions.

Answer:
$q=9$ and $q=34$.

$\vdots$

... we get

$(x^2+4x+136-4q-8x\sqrt{q})(x^2+4x+136-4q+8x\sqrt{q})=0$

And in order to satisfy the requirement set by the problem and to find all possible values of $q$, we can do so by equating the discriminants of the quadratic factors, one after another and we should expect two $q$ values to be found.

Hence, by equating the discriminant for the first factor $x^2+4x+136-4q-8x\sqrt{q}=0$ to zero, we obtain:

$(4-8\sqrt{q})^2-4(136-4q)=0$

$\sqrt{q}=3$ or $\sqrt{q}=-2.2$ and since $\sqrt{q}>0$, we get $q=9$ as one of the solutions.

Now, if we set the discriminant of the second factor as zero, we get:

$(4+8\sqrt{q})^2-4(136-4q)=0$

$\sqrt{q}=-3$ or $\sqrt{q}=2.2$ and since $\sqrt{q}>0$, we get $q=4.84$ as the other solution.

I checked the answer when $q=2.2$ and we would only get all 4 complex roots if $q=2.2$ but with $q=9$, everything is fine as is.

My question is, I don't know how to find the answer where $q=34$...any ideas?
I had to spend over four hours in trains today, going to and from a meeting in London, and I spent all that time struggling with this problem. I got close to a solution, but your approach is far neater than mine.

The missing solution comes this way: In the equation $(x^2+4x+136-4q-8x\sqrt{q})(x^2+4x+136-4q+8x\sqrt{q})=0,$ you looked at the case where the repeated root comes in the first of the two factors, and when it comes in the second factor, but you overlooked the possibility that it might come once in each factor. That can only happen when the two factors are equal, and that in turn can only happen when $8x\sqrt{q}=0.$ That implies $x=0$, and the two factors then both reduce to $136 - 4q=0$, or $q=34.$

Hi Opalg,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Ah! I missed checking the likelihood that the repeated root might occur once in each factor and I wouldn't have thought of this if you hadn't pointed it out for me. I am so grateful that I can always depend on MHB to find for the missing part of the "math puzzle"!

When I read that you spent all the time sitting in the train struggling with this problem, it melts my heart so thoroughly. I hope there is a day where I can buy you a coffee (or tea, whatever that you would like to) or deliver one to your house, a cup of hot coffee that is specifically just for you! :D

Related to Find the values of the parameter "q"

1. How can I find the values of the parameter "q"?

To find the values of the parameter "q", you will need to have a specific equation or function that includes "q" as a variable. Once you have the equation, you can use algebraic or numerical methods to solve for "q".

2. What is the purpose of finding the values of the parameter "q"?

The purpose of finding the values of the parameter "q" is to understand how it affects the overall equation or function. By determining the values of "q", you can analyze the behavior of the equation and make predictions about its outcomes.

3. What are some common techniques for finding the values of the parameter "q"?

Some common techniques for finding the values of the parameter "q" include substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods can help you manipulate the equation and solve for "q" in different ways.

4. Can the values of the parameter "q" ever be negative?

Yes, the values of the parameter "q" can be negative. This depends on the specific equation or function and its input values. It is important to carefully consider the context and meaning of "q" in the given problem.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the values of the parameter "q"?

Finding the values of the parameter "q" can be useful in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It can be used to model and understand natural phenomena, make predictions about systems, and optimize processes. For example, in physics, "q" may represent a physical constant in an equation that describes the behavior of a system.