FInd the Vector passing thru a point and parallel to two points in a plane

In summary, to find a vector passing through a point and parallel to two points in a plane, you can use the cross product method. This involves finding the direction vector by subtracting the coordinates of the two points, and then taking the cross product of the direction vector and the point vector to find the desired vector. This method can be used with any point and two points in the plane, as long as the two points are not collinear. The resulting vector will always be unique, as the cross product of two non-zero vectors always results in a vector perpendicular to both of the original vectors. However, if the two points are collinear, there is no unique vector passing through them and a different method must be used. Additionally, this
kailsen
Hi,
i have three points A',B',C' and want to find a vector passing through B' and parallel to the other two points in the plane containing these 3 points.
So this how i started,

A'=(9,27,-0.6)
B'=(12,27,-6)
C'=(19,25,-8)

I found the vector AB' and AC' first.
A'B'= A'-B'
A'C'=A'-C'

Found cross product of the two resultant vector A'B' and A'C' to get a normal vector.
now using the equation a*[x – xA] + b*[y – yA] + c*[z – zA] = 0,
i found the equation of the plane that contains all these 3 vectors (A',B',C').
Assuming the equation is -48x + 30y -2z = -90.
Now i would like to get a vector (basically x,y,z) that is passing through B' and parallel to the line passing through A' and C'.

I think, finding a line passing through the origin of of the normal vector to the plane will fetch me half the answer, but how to satisfy it to be parallel to the line A'C'

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First, you statement of the problem is strange. A "vector" does not pass through a particular point. It is entirely given by its direction and length. Nor is one vector "parallel" to another though they may be "in the same direction. You may mean "find the equation of the line passing through B' parallel to the line through A' and C'".

But then I have no idea why you would go to the work of finding two distinct vectors and their dot product. The vector from A' to C' is <19- 9, 25- 27, -8- (-0.6)>= <10, -2, -7.4>. The line through B'= (12, 27, -6) in the direction of that vector is given by
x= 10t+ 12, y= -2t+ 27, z= -7.4t- 6.

kailsen said:
Hi,
i have three points A',B',C' and want to find a vector passing through B' and parallel to the other two points in the plane containing these 3 points.
So this how i started,

A'=(9,27,-0.6)
B'=(12,27,-6)
C'=(19,25,-8)

I found the vector AB' and AC' first.
A'B'= A'-B'
A'C'=A'-C'

Found cross product of the two resultant vector A'B' and A'C' to get a normal vector.
now using the equation a*[x – xA] + b*[y – yA] + c*[z – zA] = 0,
i found the equation of the plane that contains all these 3 vectors (A',B',C').
Assuming the equation is -48x + 30y -2z = -90.
Now i would like to get a vector (basically x,y,z) that is passing through B' and parallel to the line passing through A' and C'.

I think, finding a line passing through the origin of of the normal vector to the plane will fetch me half the answer, but how to satisfy it to be parallel to the line A'C'

The line you want can be expressed in parametric form (s is parameter) as B' + s(A'-C').

1. How do I find the vector passing through a point and parallel to two points in a plane?

To find a vector passing through a point and parallel to two points in a plane, you can use the cross product method. First, subtract the coordinates of the two points to find the direction vector. Then, take the cross product of the direction vector and the point vector to find the desired vector.

2. Can I use any point and two points in the plane to find the vector?

Yes, as long as the two points are not collinear, you can use any point and two points in the plane to find the vector. However, it is recommended to use the closest point to the desired vector for accuracy.

3. Is the vector always unique when passing through a point and parallel to two points in a plane?

Yes, the vector passing through a point and parallel to two points in a plane is always unique. This is because the cross product of two non-zero vectors always results in a vector perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

4. What if the two points are collinear? Can I still find the vector?

No, if the two points are collinear, it means that they lie on the same line and there is no unique vector passing through them. In this case, you can use a different method such as finding the equation of the line and then converting it into a vector form.

5. Can I find the vector passing through a point and parallel to two points in a 3D plane?

Yes, the same method of finding the cross product can be applied in a 3D plane as well. You will need to use the coordinates of the three points to find the direction vector and then take the cross product to find the desired vector.