What is the velocity of a ball on a frictionless curved track?

In summary, the problem involves a ball with mass M on a frictionless curved track with radius R on a table with height H. The velocity of the ball as it leaves the track is sqrt(2gR), the time it takes to hit the floor is sqrt(2H/g), the distance it lands from the base of the table is sqrt(4RH), and the total energy it has when it strikes the floor is mg(H + R).
boxcarracer767
I am stuck on this problem:

A ball with a mass of M is on a frictionless curved track with a radius of R. The track sits atop a table that has height of H. Solve the following in terms of R,g,H, and M.
a) the velocity of the ball
b) the time it takes to hit the floor
c) the distance D the ball lands from the base of the table
d)the total amount of energy the ball has when it strikes the floor

Here are my answers, are these correct.
a) v= sqrt(2gH) ?
b) t=sqrt(2gh)/g ?
c)?
d) would i add 1/2mv^2 + MgR+MgH ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've told us the track is on the table, and the ball is on the track. What's this about the ball hitting the floor? And the velocity could be anything, from the information you have given.

I have attached a diagram to show what I am trying to solve for, and the velocity is as the ball leaves the table.

Attachments

• 2214.jpg
    2214.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 356
Ive tried to work out the problem , can anyone see if these answers are correct.
a)sqrt(2gR)=velocity
b)sqrt(2H/g)=time
c)H+ R =distance
d)mgh=total energy

Thanks

Last edited:
a) the velocity of the ball

Assuming it is released from rest at the top of the track, and the track is frictionless, the speed as it leaves the track will be sqrt(2gR).

b) the time it takes to hit the floor

Your answer is correct.

c) the distance D the ball lands from the base of the table

Answer is:

sqrt(4RH)

d)the total amount of energy the ball has when it strikes the floor

Answer is mg(H + R), taking the zero of potential energy to be floor level.

1. How is velocity defined?

Velocity is defined as the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is the formula for calculating velocity?

The formula for velocity is v = d/t, where v represents velocity, d represents the change in distance, and t represents the change in time.

3. How do you find the velocity of an object in motion?

To find the velocity of an object in motion, you need to measure the distance the object has traveled and the time it took to travel that distance. Then, plug those values into the formula v = d/t to calculate the velocity.

4. Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative. A negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its positive velocity. For example, if an object has a velocity of -10 m/s, it is moving in the opposite direction of its positive velocity, which would be 10 m/s.

5. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. While velocity is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction, speed is a scalar quantity that only represents the magnitude of an object's motion.