1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Thevenin equivalent circuit

1. Feb 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find Thevenin equivalent circuit as seen across terminals A and B for each circuit.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]V=IR[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Those resistors are in parallel because not all of the current going through the top one is going to go through the next one, right?
    So I add the resistors to make an equivalent resistance, but I'm not sure what to do after that.

I need to find the open-circuit voltage, but I don't know how to do that mathematically.

And I need to find the short circuit current, which is [tex]I=\frac{V_T}{R_T}[/tex].

Is the [tex]V_T[/tex] just the voltage source? And is the [tex]R_T[/tex] just the equivalent resistance that I found?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See above.

4. Feb 10, 2013 #3
    What do you mean by wrong argument? That's not the reason they're in parallel? There's a different reason they're in parallel? Or are they not in parallel at all?

The open circuit voltage would be [tex]V_{Th}=\frac{(2)(100)}{100+100}=1[/tex] right?

And the short circuit current would just ignore the middle resistor and that would be [tex]I=\frac{2}{100}=0.04A[/tex] right?

Ok so [tex]R_{Th}=\frac{1}{0.04}=25[/tex]

So to answer the question posed, I would make a circuit replacing the [tex]V_{in}[/tex] with [tex]1V[/tex] and replace the two resistors with a 25 Ohm resistor?

Thanks for the response.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  5. Feb 10, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook