Find Vc(0): Node Analysis & Ohms Law

In summary, the conversation is about finding Vc(0) using node analysis and Ohm's law. The individual is stuck on how to replace Vo in their equation and asks for suggestions. They are given the advice to express Vo in terms of other quantities in the branch and to consider the branch current. Eventually, they figure out that the branch current is needed in the equation and make a mistake but are corrected and guided towards the correct solution.
sammyqw

Homework Statement

find Vc(0)

Homework Equations

Node analysis , ohms law

The Attempt at a Solution

image.png

Hi, I'm trying to find Vc(0). I used node analysis but I'm stuck in eq 1. I'll appreciate if someone can give me some suggestions. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you need to replace Vo with something. Go back to your schematic and see if you can express Vo in terms of the other quantities pertaining to the branch it's in.

gneill said:
Looks like you need to replace Vo with something. Go back to your schematic and see if you can express Vo in terms of the other quantities pertaining to the branch it's in.
Can I replace Vo with V-10/25 ?

sammyqw said:
Can I replace Vo with V-10/25 ?
Do you mean (V-10)/25? (Order of operations is important). No, that would be the branch current flowing from v towards the 10 V source. But that's a start. What would be Vo in terms of that current?

gneill said:
Do you mean (V-10)/25? (Order of operations is important). No, that would be the branch current flowing from v towards the 10 V source. But that's a start. What would be Vo in terms of that current?
it would be some current i = Vo/20 ?

sammyqw said:
it would be some current i = Vo/20 ?
That's the idea. But you've already identified the branch current in post #3.

gneill said:
That's the idea. But you've already identified the branch current in post #3.
Can I do i=10/25 = 0.4A then find Vo= (0.4)20 =8V and then just replace it in my equation 2?

sammyqw said:
Can I do i=10/25 = 0.4A then find Vo= (0.4)20 =8V and then just replace it in my equation 2?
No because the battery voltage is not across the branch. What is an expression for the branch current (you wrote one as a term in your node equation!)?

Related to Find Vc(0): Node Analysis & Ohms Law

1. What is Vc(0)?

Vc(0) is the voltage at node C at time t=0. In other words, it is the initial voltage at node C in a circuit.

2. How is Vc(0) calculated using node analysis?

Vc(0) can be calculated using node analysis by first applying Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) to the node C, which states that the sum of currents entering a node is equal to the sum of currents leaving the node. This will result in an equation that can be solved for Vc(0) using Ohm's Law and any other relevant equations for the circuit.

3. What is the significance of finding Vc(0)?

Finding Vc(0) allows us to determine the voltage at a specific node in a circuit at a specific point in time. This information is crucial in analyzing and designing circuits, as it helps us understand the behavior of the circuit and make necessary adjustments.

4. Can Vc(0) be negative?

Yes, Vc(0) can be negative. This means that the voltage at node C is in the opposite direction of the assumed direction in the circuit. It is important to pay attention to the signs of the values in the equations when solving for Vc(0) to ensure accurate results.

5. How does Ohm's Law relate to finding Vc(0)?

Ohm's Law is used in conjunction with other circuit analysis methods, such as node analysis, to find Vc(0). Ohm's Law states that the voltage across a resistor is equal to the product of its resistance and the current flowing through it. In node analysis, we use this relationship to determine the voltage at a specific node in a circuit.