Volume of solid rotating y=1+sec x and y=3 about y=1

  • Thread starter Thread starter iRaid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral Rotation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
iRaid
Messages
558
Reaction score
8

Homework Statement


Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line. Sketch the region, the solid, and a typical disk or washer.

[tex]y=1+sec x[/tex] [tex]y=3[/tex] about [tex]y=1[/tex]

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


I don't understand how to do this since y=3 crosses at infinite points. I know that is crosses at -∏/3 and ∏/3.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
iRaid said:

Homework Statement


Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the specified line. Sketch the region, the solid, and a typical disk or washer.

[tex]y=1+sec x[/tex] [tex]y=3[/tex] about [tex]y=1[/tex]

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


I don't understand how to do this since y=3 crosses at infinite points. I know that is crosses at -∏/3 and ∏/3.

My guess is that the region to be rotated around the line y = 1 is just a single arch of the graph of y = 1 + sec(x), up to the line y = 3. The problem should have been more specific in describing the region, IMO.