1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a formula of a math problem

1. Oct 15, 2005 #1
    i dont know what to do for this question, what does it mean by A = 1 when x = 1 and y = 0 ??? do i just sub it in or what? is this some sort of equation in an equation thingy?

The quantity A is proportional to X^2 and inversely proportional to (y-a)^3
    Find a formula for A given that A = 1 when x = 1 and y = 0

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please post such questions in the Coursework Forum, not here !

First write A as a function of (x,y) using arbitrary constants. For instance if told that V is proportional to I, you can write the equation V=kI, where k is some constant.

Next you are told that when you substitute the given values of x and y, you get a certain value of A. This helps determine the value of such a constant. In my example, if told that V = 5 when I = 2, I have 5 = 2k, which tells me that k=2.5. So my Original equation can be becomes V = 2.5I

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  4. Oct 17, 2005 #3
    okay after following ur example, i have A=x^2, it's the inversely proportional part that i can't understand...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  5. Oct 20, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you are told that A is inversely proportional to some z, then that is the same as saying that A is proportional to 1/z. Or A = k/z, where k is some constant.

6. Oct 20, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"The quantity A is proportional to X^2 and inversely proportional to (y-a)^3"

A is "proportional" to B means A is just a constant times B: A= kB.

A is "inversely proportional" to B means A is a constant time 1/B or is a constant divided by B: A= k/B.

A is proportional to x2 and inversely proportional to (y-a)3 gives both: A= kx2/(y-a)3.

" given that A = 1 when x = 1 and y = 0" means that if you replace A in the formula with 1, x with 1, and y with 0, it is still true. That is:
    1= k(12)/(0-a)3= -k/a3. You can use that to find k: k= -a3 (a was part of the original information but we are not given a specific value for a so all we can do is leave it in there.)
    Putting that value for k back into the original formula,
    A= -a3x2/(y-a)3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?