Finding a Job After Being Fired - Engineer's Tips

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, the conversation discusses concerns about job security for an engineer with a master's degree, particularly in the fields of electrical and computer engineering (EE/CE) and mechanical engineering (ME). The speakers agree that ME can be more limiting in terms of job opportunities, and recommend pursuing EE/CE instead. However, one speaker argues that ME is actually the most versatile degree, especially in the Detroit metro area.
Cyrus
I have a question that has me somewhat concerned. Let's say I am an engineer with a master’s degree and I get fired, or the company has to lay off people, whatever reason...I am suddenly out of a job.

It's got to be pretty damn hard to find another job, no? I would think it to be easier if you are a senior engineer because you have more experience. If you do something specific, chances are going to be slim to finding lots of companies that want you for that same area of work.

Loosing your job just scares the crap out of me sometimes...not now, because I live at home...but if I had a wife and kids...yikes...

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the market. If the market is good, you'll get a job even if you barely know which way to hold a computer mouse.

- Warren

I think you would be ok, becuase EE/CE is big. ME, on the other hand, I feel is VERY specific...a little too specific sometimes.

That's why I am trying to learn more about EE/CE whenever I can...

If someone asked me 'would I recommend becoming an ME', I would say EE with CE minor.

I'd do EE/CE if I could start over. That's not to say I don't love ME...It just feels limiting.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
I think you would be ok, becuase EE/CE is big. ME, on the other hand, I feel is VERY specific...a little too specific sometimes.

That's why I am trying to learn more about EE/CE whenever I can...

If someone asked me 'would I recommend becoming an ME', I would say EE with CE minor.

I'd do EE/CE if I start over. That's not to say I don't love ME...It just feels limiting.

You're mistaking. An ME degree is the most versatile degree you can have...more versatile than EE...at least it is in the detroit metro area. This is coming from an EE student.

Related to Finding a Job After Being Fired - Engineer's Tips

1. What should I do if I was fired from my last engineering job?

If you were fired from your last engineering job, it's important to take some time to reflect on why you were let go. This will help you identify any areas where you need to improve and make a plan to address them. It's also important to be honest about the reason for your dismissal during job interviews.

2. How do I explain being fired from my previous job to potential employers?

When explaining your past termination to potential employers, it's important to be honest and take responsibility for your actions. Focus on what you learned from the experience and how you have grown since then. Avoid badmouthing your previous employer and focus on the positive aspects of your skills and experience.

3. Will being fired from my last job affect my chances of getting hired?

Being fired from your last job may affect your chances of getting hired, but it's not an automatic disqualification. Employers understand that sometimes things don't work out, and they will be more interested in how you have learned and grown from the experience. It's important to be honest and focus on your skills and qualifications.

4. How can I improve my chances of getting hired after being fired?

To improve your chances of getting hired after being fired, it's important to take some time to reflect on your past mistakes and make a plan to address them. You can also focus on building your skills and experience through internships, volunteering, or taking additional courses. Networking and getting recommendations from previous employers or colleagues can also help improve your chances.

5. Should I mention being fired on my resume or cover letter?

If you were fired from your last job, it's not necessary to mention it on your resume or cover letter. These documents should focus on highlighting your skills and experience, not your past employment history. However, if the termination is relevant to the job you are applying for, you may want to mention it briefly and positively in your cover letter.