Finding a solution for Relativistic Acceleration

In summary, the speaker is having trouble finding a solution to a time-based differential equation using various math software. They suggest simplifying the equation and trying a substitution method.
Michio Cuckoo
I tried all my mathcad software such as Maple and I can't seem to find a solution to this time based differential equation.

m}\left%20(%201%20-%20\frac{\left%20[%20f(t)%20\right%20]^{2}}{c^{2}}%20\right%20)^{\frac{3}{2}}.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
Michio Cuckoo said:
I tried all my mathcad software such as Maple and I can't seem to find a solution to this time based differential equation.

m}\left%20(%201%20-%20\frac{\left%20[%20f(t)%20\right%20]^{2}}{c^{2}}%20\right%20)^{\frac{3}{2}}.gif

Hi !

Very surprising ! They should solve this EDO without any difficulty, since it is an EDO of the "separable variables" kind. This can be handly carried out.

Michio Cuckoo said:

Whenever you have a messy-looking equation, it's sometimes helpful to at least initially, get rid of all the fluff by canonicalizing the equation. In the case above, write it simply as:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=k(1-y^2/a)^{3/2}[/tex]

See, just that lil' bit is good progress. Now, you can't separate variables and integrate? Telll you what, can you integrate just:

[tex]\int \frac{dy}{(1-y^2/a)^{3/2}}[/tex]

I haven't tried so I don't know. You try it.

Last edited:
This might be a two stage process, first try a substitution of [itex]y=\sqrt{a}\sin\theta[/itex] and see what you get.

I understand the frustration of not being able to find a solution to a complex problem like Relativistic Acceleration. However, it is important to remember that not all problems have a straightforward solution and sometimes, it takes multiple attempts and different approaches to find a solution. It may be helpful to collaborate with other scientists or seek advice from experts in the field to gain new perspectives and insights on the problem. Additionally, it may be beneficial to continue exploring different mathematical software and techniques to see if any of them can provide a solution. Persistence and perseverance are key qualities in scientific research, and I am confident that with determination and an open mind, a solution to this problem can be found.

What is Relativistic Acceleration?

Relativistic acceleration is the change in velocity of an object traveling at high speeds, where the effects of Einstein's theory of relativity must be taken into account.

Why is Relativistic Acceleration important to study?

Relativistic Acceleration is important to study because it affects the behavior and movement of objects at high speeds, which is crucial in fields such as astrophysics and particle physics. Understanding it is also necessary for technologies such as GPS systems.

What are the challenges in finding a solution for Relativistic Acceleration?

The main challenges in finding a solution for Relativistic Acceleration include accurately measuring and predicting the effects of time dilation and length contraction, as well as overcoming the limitations of our current technology.

How can Relativistic Acceleration be calculated?

Relativistic Acceleration can be calculated using equations derived from Einstein's theory of relativity, such as the Lorentz transformation and the time dilation formula.

Are there any practical applications for understanding Relativistic Acceleration?

Yes, understanding Relativistic Acceleration has practical applications in fields such as space travel, particle accelerators, and satellite navigation systems. It also helps us better understand the nature of the universe and how it works.