Modern Physics Textbook with Thought-Provoking Problems & Visual Explanations

• Thread starter FlyingMachine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, the conversation revolves around the need for a textbook on modern physics that includes thought-provoking problems and visual explanations. Several suggestions are given, including "Modern Physics" by Moses, Serway, and Moyer, which provides a good overview but may not be outstanding, and "Griffiths" which is highly recommended but may be more focused on quantum mechanics. Other suggestions include "Knight" for introductory physics and "Resnick and Eisberg" or "Beiser" for modern physics specifically. The conversation also mentions a subforum for textbooks and suggests looking through Amazon reviews for books with modern physics as the title.
FlyingMachine
I am taking a course on modern physics, and I want to get a textbook to help me out because nothing my teacher has given my class to work with has problems. They're all explanations that aren't even all that helpful (not many graphs/pictures, just words). I'm sick of it because I have nothing to test myself with, and I'm just sick of reading like I would for a history class or something. Any suggestions for a book that has good (i.e. thought provoking) problems and visual explanations?

Edit: Also, I am looking for a book on exclusively modern physics, not a textbook "with modern physics".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have a book called "Modern Physics" by Moses, Serway, and Moyer. It gives a good overview of modern physics, but mostly just because it describes the experiments. I wouldn't say it is at all outstanding or anything. The topics include: special relativity, quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and then some of the applications towards the end, such as lasers.

Anyway, the rest of the books I have are specific to the topics in modern physics, and I don't really know any other whole overviews. Perhaps you could look through amazon reviews for books with modern physics as the title, and find which one suits you.

Last edited:
I have Griffiths which has a 4 star rating on amazon, but I'm not that thrilled with it. I have used Knight and liked it, but it only has a 3 star rating. I don't know what to make of the ratings.

Books I have liked in the past explain things well, and have problems of different difficulty levels. Knight was easy compared to other textbooks, but I liked it because I could practice to prepare for harder problems. And I aced harder problems from other books when I had done all of Knight's problems first.

Griffiths makes a modern physics book? If so then you probably have the best modern physics book out there, Griffiths is very good, but are you sure you don't mean quantum mechanics? His quantum book is okay, but it the material is kind of watered down in my opinion.

Knight is pretty good for introductory physics, he really makes you nail down the concepts, so if you are in intro modern or intro quantum then that is a good bet. He doesn't care so much for math formalities though.

I'm using Griffiths for another class.

I want something like Knight except modern physics only, not "with modern physics".

There is a subforum here concerning textbooks. Also there are some old threads about textbooks for Modern physics courses.

you can go for "resnick and eisberg" for numericals and stuff... but unfortunately it is rather a book "with" modern physics, as you apprehend... another book purely on modern physics is beiser, which is very basic and real good...

1. What is modern physics?

Modern physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the physical world at the atomic and subatomic levels. It includes theories and principles such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics.

2. What makes this textbook different from others?

This textbook stands out because it not only explains the concepts in modern physics, but also includes thought-provoking problems that challenge readers to think critically and creatively. Additionally, it uses visual explanations to help readers better understand complex ideas.

3. Is this textbook suitable for beginners?

Yes, this textbook is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics of modern physics and gradually progresses to more advanced topics. The thought-provoking problems are designed to help readers develop their critical thinking skills.

4. Are there any real-world applications discussed in the textbook?

Yes, this textbook includes real-world applications of modern physics concepts, such as the use of quantum mechanics in technology and the impact of relativity on space travel. These applications help readers understand the relevance and significance of modern physics in our daily lives.

5. Are there any online resources available for this textbook?

Yes, there are online resources available for this textbook, including interactive simulations, practice problems, and additional visual explanations. These resources can be accessed through a companion website or through a code provided with the textbook.