1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a vector given a tangent vector

1. Nov 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a tangent vector r that satisfies r(0)= (e^(1),0) given T(t) = (-e^(cos(t)sin(t)),cos(t)), where t is an element of [0,2π]

2. Relevant equations

Tangent vector T = r'(t)/(norm(r'(t))

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking that r(t) = ∫r'(t), and that the norm of r(t) = 1; but i am having a hard time identifying a function compatible with the tangent vector that also has a norm of 1. I also attempted to find a value for t that would force the exponential aspect of -e (cos(t)sin(t)) to equal 1, while also allowing cos(t) = 0, but this did not work. Now i'm stuck second guessing myself.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This question doesn't make any sense to me. Your T isn't a unit vector in the first place.

4. Nov 14, 2011 #3
    Sorry, maybe i've omitted something important: for each (t), the function T provides a tangent vector to an assortment of curves. The curve r exists in this assortment; find r that satisfies r(0) = (e^1, 0).

5. Nov 14, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you trying to find a vector function r(t) satisfying r(0) =<e,0> and such that r'(t) = T(t)? Is that it? And if so, are you sure the first component of T isn't suppsed to be [itex]-\sin(t)e^{\cos t}[/itex] instead of what you have written?

6. Nov 14, 2011 #5
    Yes i am!

It is given in wolfram mathematica form T(t) = (-exp(cos(t))sin(t), cos(t)); so now that you think about it, i could see it being T(t) = -sin(t)e^(cos(t)), cos(t).

I apologize for my errors.:blushing:

7. Nov 14, 2011 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And now that the problem is stated clearly, you see how to solve it, right?

8. Nov 14, 2011 #7
    Would i need to integrate it in order to get a function of 0, r(0) = (e,0)?

rdr = e^(cos(t))+constant, ∫rdr = sin(t)+constant; if t=0, the function turns into the desired form.

Is this on the right track?

9. Nov 14, 2011 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't forget you are integrating a vector -- both components and each component gets its own constant. And your answer for r will be a vector. But, yes, it is that easy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook