Finding a voltage across 2 nodes [Check answer - work already done]

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem involving two loops and finding the values for V1 and Vx. One person provides their solution and asks for clarification on the original question. Another person suggests that the extra line on the schematic could indicate a voltage rise from ground to V1. There is also discussion about whether the problem was designed as a knowledge question or a circuit analysis question.
naivy

Homework Statement

blFU9.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got V1=18V
Here's my work:
AdrND.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you repost the original question and then rewrite your solution with some brief explanations to show what you are doing? i.e KVL (Right): V1 - Vx - 24 = 0

I got V1 = 37.33V, Vx= 13.33V. It checks when you plug the numbers into your schematic.

If V1 = 18V then Vx = 18 - 24 = -6V so i thru the 25K = -6/25 = 0.24 mA
whereas i thru the 5K would then be
(-3*6 - 18)/5 = -7.2 mA so that can't be right.

Vab = Va - Vb. Assuming Va is at V1+ and Vb is at V1-, what is V1?

Given V1, and using KVL around the right hand loop, what is Vx?

Given the line drawn between V1+ and V1-, and the node 'dots', it seems a safe assumption that there are two loops, rather than just one with an errant line.

I got V1 = 37.33V, Vx= 13.33V. It checks when you plug the numbers into your schematic.

I did it your way as well though and got the same numbers, but wanted the original question reposted just to verify.

Two loops were my firat assumption too, but then I realized that that would make the problem pathological (viz. V1 = 0). Also, the OP calculated a finite (albeit erroneous) V1. So I decided that extra line must indicate voltage rise gnd to V1, although I did wonder why there was no arrow at the top of that line. Also, if two loops, why did the OP have - and + signs next to that line?

Also, if two loops, why did the OP have - and + signs next to that line?

It could possibly have been designed as a (trick) knowledge problem, rather than a circuit analysis problem. Needs more OP confirmation I suppose.

1. What is the concept of voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the potential energy difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the force that drives electrical current through a circuit.

2. How is voltage calculated?

Voltage is calculated by dividing the energy (in joules) by the amount of charge (in coulombs) in an electrical circuit. This is represented by the equation V = E/Q, where V is voltage, E is energy, and Q is charge.

3. What is the difference between voltage and current?

Voltage and current are two fundamental concepts in electricity. While voltage is a measure of potential energy, current is a measure of the rate at which charge flows through a circuit. Voltage can be thought of as the force that drives current through a circuit.

4. How is voltage measured?

Voltage is measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is typically connected in parallel to the circuit and displays the voltage in volts (V).

5. Why is it important to find the voltage across 2 nodes in a circuit?

Finding the voltage across 2 nodes in a circuit is important because it helps us understand the behavior and efficiency of the circuit. It also allows us to calculate the power, resistance, and current in the circuit, which are essential for troubleshooting and optimizing the circuit's performance.