1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bridge/Ladder Circuit and Node Voltage Method

1. Sep 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screen Shot 2016-09-04 at 3.24.28 PM.png

2. Relevant equations
    Node Voltage Method
    V=IR

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I have never worked with a bridge/ladder circuit before and I am not sure if I am doing it correctly. My professor never gave us an example of a bridge/ladder so I'm kinda winging it. Anyway can I apply node voltage method to this circuit just like any other? I tried doing that, but I got some weird answers, so I don't know if it is correct. Did I make some small mistake in my equations? Or are my equations completely wrong?

New Doc 19.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2016 #2

Hesch

Gold Member

Just check the result by means of Ohm's law:

Currents toward V1 =

( 2V - 28/19 V ) / 2kΩ
    - 28/19 V / 8kΩ
    - 6/19 V / 4 kΩ = ( must be zero )

Same check with V2

4. Sep 4, 2016 #3
    It works with Ohms law, but does that mean that it's correct? It feels like this way of checking will always give you the right answer? So just because they add up to 0 doesn't make them the correct values is what I am getting at. Or is this not right?

5. Sep 5, 2016 #4

The Electrician

Gold Member

A good tactic I use is to check with the Kirchoff's law that you didn't use for the solution. If you use KCL to solve it, use KVL to check it.

6. Sep 5, 2016 #5

Hesch

Gold Member

Show me an incorrect result that will be accepted as correct by means of the "Ohm's law test".

Your circuit is not a bistable or "multistable" circuit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted