Finding Acceleration: Solving a Simple Velocity Equation at 0.5s

• Thread starter The Matador
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the acceleration at a specific time using a given velocity function. The correct method for finding the acceleration was discussed, with emphasis on using the product rule when taking the second derivative. The final answer for the acceleration was found to be 5400 m/s.
The Matador

Homework Statement

Velocity in m/s at time t is defined as v= 20t(1+2t)^-2

Find Acceleration at 0.5s

2. The attempt at a solution

I missed the day we covered this topic in class and I am under the assumption that I would find the derivative of 20t(1+2t)^-2 and then find the derivative once more to get acceleration. Once I get the second derivative its as easy as substituting 0.5 for t. Unfortunately I never get the correct answer which I was told is 9.6m/s. Is the answer wrong? I end up with 15m/s all the time.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are given the velocity function you only need to differentiate once to get the acceleration.

I must be doing something wrong I keep getting the wrong answers.

Example:

s(t) = (4t^2 + 5)^3 t=1

I do the work

First Derivative - 24t(4t^2 + 5)^2
Second Derivative - 384t^2(4t^2 + 5)

My answer is 3456 m/s and the book tells me it is 5400 m/s

So is this supposed to be a new question? What happened with the first one you posted?

Note the unit of acceleration is m/s^2.

Your second derivative is not right. You're using the product rule, right? You're missing a term.

:smile: I feel really stupid right now. I knew something was up, turns out I was forgetting the product rule for all the questions. Thanks for clueing me into that. What a silly mistake.

You're welcome, lol. Those things happen. :smile:

What is simple acceleration?

Simple acceleration is the rate of change in an object's velocity with respect to time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's speed is changing.

What is the formula for simple acceleration?

The formula for simple acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object's velocity is increasing over time, while negative acceleration (also called deceleration) occurs when an object's velocity is decreasing over time.

How is simple acceleration measured?

Simple acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system or feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the imperial system. This unit represents how much an object's velocity changes in one second.

What factors can affect simple acceleration?

Simple acceleration can be affected by factors such as the force acting on an object, the mass of the object, and any external forces (such as friction) that may act upon the object.