1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Altitude When Given g = g0(Re/Re+A)^2

1. Sep 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

g = g0(Re/(Re + A))2

g is the acceleration due to gravity. g0 is the acceleration of gravity at the surface of the earth, A is altitude, and Re is the radius, approximately 6380 km. Assume g0 = 9.8 meters per second squared. If the value of g is 9 meters per second squared, what is the Altitude in units of miles?

2. Relevant equations

g = g0(Re/(Re + A))2

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I plugged what I knew into the given equation:

9m/sec2 = 9.8m/sec2(6380km/(6380km +A))2

Second, I divided m/sec from the right:

(9m/sec2)/(9.8m/sec2) = 0.9583
    0.9583 = (6380/(6380 + A))2

Third, I took the square root of both sides:

0.9583 = 6380km/(6380km + A)

Fourth, I multiplied both sides by the denominator:

(6380km + A)(.9583) = (6380km/(6380km + A))(6380km + A)
    6113.954km + .9583A = 6380km

Finally, I subtracted, divided, and converted units:

.9583A = 266.046km
    A = 277.6229km

277.6229km *(.621 mi/ 1km) = 172.404 miles

My Questions:
    So while typing this problem up I started to understood more of what it is I needed to do and it became much easier. However, I still have some questions about converting the units and so forth.First, during the second step where I divided m/sec on the right side from the left side I canceled the units out during division as if they were a variable, I am pretty sure this is legal but I want to make sure that I am right in this assumption, otherwise I would have to convert m/sec^2 to km and I have no idea where to start on that one. Second, is taking the square root of both sides to get rid of the exponent a viable option? Once again I feel like this is true, but I am very paranoid and cautious when it comes to these things. Thanks in advance for any help given

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that is what you need to do. It gives you an answer that is a dimensionless ratio
    Yes, take the square-root of everything under a single big square-root sign, for each side.

this means it has no units

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted