Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding amplitude from a diagram

1. May 31, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

This is not homework or coursework. I am not sure whether this question would be classed as homework or coursework because it is neither.

I am using the AQA Physics A AS text book and attempting exercise 12.2 on page 177. In I am stuck on question 4 and I have absolutely no idea on how to find the amplitude. I have spent almost a day but still I haven't been able to find a matching answer. I was hoping someone here might help me.

Here is the full question:

For the waves in Figure 4,

a) determine i the amplitude and wavelength, ii the phase difference between P and R, iii the phase difference between P and S.

I can find the phase differences but not the wavelength and amplitude. I am probably missing something or have missed something and I am looking for a hint.

I managed to find a preview of the page here

I managed to get a screenshot of the page:
    wave1.png

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The amplitude is the distance from the center line to a highest point on the graph. You can't tell from the graph because there is no vertical axis.

4. May 31, 2013 #3
    Hi,

I think you can by using the table, the phase difference formula and trigonometry. I have tried that but I don't get the right answer.

5. May 31, 2013 #4
    googl
    If you understand the definition, the concept, I would not waste further time on this silly representation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transverse_wave

good lord....They have managed to take a few simple questions and turn them to a convoluted
    interpretation.....

What phase difference did you find??

I have no idea how to scale the plots..either vertically or horizontally.

'Distance from 0' as provided in the chart is actually incorrect....what they mean is the 'x' [horizontal distance] from o....

I hope the concepts in the rest of the text are presented more clearly than here!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook