Finding amplitude from a diagram

In summary, the person is looking for help with exercise 12.2 from their textbook and is stuck on question 4. They are looking for a hint on how to find the amplitude and have been unsuccessful so far.
Googl
Hi all,

This is not homework or coursework. I am not sure whether this question would be classed as homework or coursework because it is neither.

I am using the AQA Physics A AS textbook and attempting exercise 12.2 on page 177. In I am stuck on question 4 and I have absolutely no idea on how to find the amplitude. I have spent almost a day but still I haven't been able to find a matching answer. I was hoping someone here might help me.

Here is the full question:

For the waves in Figure 4,

a) determine i the amplitude and wavelength, ii the phase difference between P and R, iii the phase difference between P and S.

I can find the phase differences but not the wavelength and amplitude. I am probably missing something or have missed something and I am looking for a hint.

I managed to find a preview of the page here

I managed to get a screenshot of the page:
wave1.png

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The amplitude is the distance from the center line to a highest point on the graph. You can't tell from the graph because there is no vertical axis.

Hi,

I think you can by using the table, the phase difference formula and trigonometry. I have tried that but I don't get the right answer.

googl
here are two sketches that illustrates what you are looking for...

If you understand the definition, the concept, I would not waste further time on this silly representation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transverse_wave

good lord...They have managed to take a few simple questions and turn them to a convoluted
interpretation...

What phase difference did you find??

I have no idea how to scale the plots..either vertically or horizontally.

'Distance from 0' as provided in the chart is actually incorrect...what they mean is the 'x' [horizontal distance] from o...

I hope the concepts in the rest of the text are presented more clearly than here!

Hello!

Finding the amplitude from a diagram can be a tricky task, but it is an important skill to have in physics. The amplitude is the maximum displacement of a wave from its equilibrium position. In order to find the amplitude, you will need to look at the vertical axis of the diagram. The amplitude is the distance from the equilibrium position to the crest or trough of the wave. In the diagram provided, the amplitude can be measured as the distance from the x-axis to the peak of the wave.

To find the wavelength, you will need to look at the horizontal axis of the diagram. The wavelength is the distance between two adjacent peaks or troughs of the wave. In the diagram provided, the wavelength can be measured as the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs.

In order to find the phase difference between P and R, you will need to compare the position of these two points on the wave. The phase difference is the amount of time it takes for one point to complete a full cycle compared to the other point. In the diagram provided, you can measure this by counting the number of wavelengths between P and R.

Similarly, to find the phase difference between P and S, you will need to compare the positions of these two points on the wave. Again, the phase difference is the amount of time it takes for one point to complete a full cycle compared to the other point. In the diagram provided, you can measure this by counting the number of wavelengths between P and S.

I hope this helps and gives you a better understanding of how to find the amplitude from a diagram. If you are still having trouble, I would suggest asking your teacher or a classmate for help. Good luck with your exercise!

1. What is amplitude in a diagram?

Amplitude in a diagram refers to the maximum displacement of a wave from its resting position. It is represented by the height of the wave on the diagram.

2. How do you find the amplitude from a diagram?

To find the amplitude from a diagram, you need to measure the distance from the resting position (midpoint) of the wave to the highest point of the wave. This distance represents the amplitude of the wave.

3. Is amplitude the same as wavelength?

No, amplitude and wavelength are two different properties of a wave. Amplitude refers to the size or height of the wave, while wavelength refers to the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave.

4. Can the amplitude of a wave change?

Yes, the amplitude of a wave can change depending on the energy or force acting on the wave. For example, a stronger force will result in a higher amplitude, while a weaker force will result in a lower amplitude.

5. How is amplitude related to the energy of a wave?

The amplitude of a wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that the higher the amplitude, the more energy the wave carries. This relationship is described by the formula: Energy ∝ Amplitude²