1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding amplitude from a diagram

1. May 31, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

This is not homework or coursework. I am not sure whether this question would be classed as homework or coursework because it is neither.

I am using the AQA Physics A AS text book and attempting exercise 12.2 on page 177. In I am stuck on question 4 and I have absolutely no idea on how to find the amplitude. I have spent almost a day but still I haven't been able to find a matching answer. I was hoping someone here might help me.

Here is the full question:

For the waves in Figure 4,

a) determine i the amplitude and wavelength, ii the phase difference between P and R, iii the phase difference between P and S.

I can find the phase differences but not the wavelength and amplitude. I am probably missing something or have missed something and I am looking for a hint.

I managed to find a preview of the page here

I managed to get a screenshot of the page:
    wave1.png

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The amplitude is the distance from the center line to a highest point on the graph. You can't tell from the graph because there is no vertical axis.

4. May 31, 2013 #3
    Hi,

I think you can by using the table, the phase difference formula and trigonometry. I have tried that but I don't get the right answer.

5. May 31, 2013 #4
    googl
    If you understand the definition, the concept, I would not waste further time on this silly representation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transverse_wave

good lord....They have managed to take a few simple questions and turn them to a convoluted
    interpretation.....

What phase difference did you find??

I have no idea how to scale the plots..either vertically or horizontally.

'Distance from 0' as provided in the chart is actually incorrect....what they mean is the 'x' [horizontal distance] from o....

I hope the concepts in the rest of the text are presented more clearly than here!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook