1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding an expression for charge (Q) given an I-V equation

1. Sep 12, 2006 #1
    An ideal semiconductor diode is a nonlinear element that obeys the following I-V equation:

[tex]I\,=\,I_s\,\left(\,e^{\frac{V}{V_{th}}}\,-\,1\right)[/tex]

where [itex]I_s[/itex] is a constant (saturation current) and [itex]V_{th}[/itex] is a constant (thermal voltage, [itex]V_{th}\,=\,\frac{k_B\,T}{q}[/itex]).

Assuming the applied voltage is given by

[tex]\begin{displaymath}
    V\,=\,\left\{ \begin{array}{ll}
    0 & for\,t\,<\,0 \\
    Bt & for\,t\,\geq\,0 \\
    \end{array} \right.
    \end{displaymath}[/tex]

where B is a known constant.

Find an analytic expression for the charge Q(t) that has passed through the diode over the period from 0 to t. Also find the analytic expressions for the power dissipated by the diode p(t) and for the total energy dissipated by the diode w(t) over the period from 0 to t.

Now assuming [itex]I_s\,=\,1\,\times\,10^{-14},\,V_{th}\,=\,25.85\,mV[/itex] and [itex]B\,=\,90\,\frac{mV}{s}[/itex] use MATLAB to plot I(t), Q(t), p(t), and w(t). Do your plots for t = 0 to 10s.

Find the time [itex]\tau[/itex] at which a total of 1 C of charge has passed through the diode ([itex]Q(\tau)\,=\,1\,C[/itex]) and find the values of [itex]p(\tau)[/itex] and [itex]w(\tau)[/itex].

MY WORK SO FAR:

[tex]Q\,=\,\int_0^t\,i\,dt\,=\,\int_0^t\,\left(I_s\,e^{\frac{V}{V_{th}}}\,-\,I_s\right)\,dt[/tex]

[tex]Q(t)\,=\,\left[I_s\,e^{\frac{V}{V_{th}}}\,t\,-\,I_s\,t\right]_0^t\,=\,\left(I_s\,e^{\frac{V}{V_{th}}}\,-\,I_s\right)\,t[/tex]

Do I have the first part (equation for Q) of the question right?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2006 #2
    Mabye the integral is wrong? Is this better?:

[tex]Q\,(t)\,=\,\int_0^t\,\left(I_s\,e^{\frac{B\,t}{V_{th}}}\,-\,I_s\right)\,dt[/tex]

[tex]Q\,(t)\,=\,\left[I_s\,e^{\frac{B\,t}{V_{th}}}\,t\,-\,I_s\,t\right]_0^t\,=\,\left(I_s\,e^{\frac{B\,t}{V_{th}}}\,-\,I_s\right)\,t[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?