1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Q of RLC circuit, confused with provided answer

1. Sep 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The main question is to derive the Q of the series RLC circuit. This book shows the whole solution but I have a question about a part of their answer. Basically I want to know how ##\frac{1}{2}CV_{Cmax}^2 = \frac{1}{2}C(\frac{i_{max}^2}{wC}^2)##
    to me it looks like they are saying ##V=i_{max}/Z## instead of ##V=IZ##.

Also, at the end why is the energy dissipated per cycle ##W_d=\frac{I_{max}^2R\pi}{w}##.
    I think ##I^2R\frac{2\pi}{w}## should be dissipated the energy dissipated per cylce. Why are they leaving it as ##I^2R\frac{\pi}{w}## so that the energy dissipated per cycle is divided by 2? Also then they multiply Q by ##2\pi## at the end which I also found to be strange. Can anyone please shed some light?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The book gives the solution:

In the time domain, the instantaneous stored energy in the circuit is given by : ##W_s=\frac{1}{2}Li^2 + \frac{q^2}{2C}##
    For a maximum: ##\frac{dW_s}{dt} = Li\frac{di}{dt}+\frac{q}{c}\frac{dq}{dt} = i(L\frac{di}{dt}+\frac{q}{C})=i(V_l+V_C)=0##
    Thus, the maximum stored energy is ##W_s## at i=0 or ##W_s## at ##V_L+V_C=0##, whichever is larger. Now the capacitor voltage, and therefore the charge, lags the current by ##90^\circ##; hence, i=0 implies ##q=\pm Q_{max}## and :
    ##W_{s|i=0} = \frac{Q_{max}^2}{2C} = \frac{1}{2}CV_{Cmax}^2 = \frac{1}{2}C(\frac{I_{max}}{wC})^2=\frac{I_{max}^2}{2Cw^2}##

On the other hand, ##V_L + V_C=0## implies ##V_L=V_C=0## and ##i=\pm I_{max}## so that ##W_{s|V_L+V_C=0}=\frac{1}{2}LI_{max}^2##
    It follows that
    ##W_{s-max}=\frac{I_{max}^2}{2Cw^2}## for ##(w\leq w_0)## and
    ##W_{s-max}=\frac{LI_{max}^2}{2}## for ##(w \geq w_0)##

The energy dissipated per cycle (in the resistor) is ##W_d=\frac{I_{max}^2R\pi}{w}##. Consequently,
    ##Q = 2\pi\frac{W_{smax}}{W_d} = \frac{1}{wCR}, (w\leq w_0)## and ##\frac{wL}{R}, (w \geq w_0)##

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2016 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Z = 1/ωC for a capacitor so what they wrote (& which you copied incorrectly BTW) is correct.
    If you integrate Rimax2sin2(ωt) dt over 1 period = 2π/ω you will get what they state, which is πRimax2/ω.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted