• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Finding antiderivative without integration

• Thread starter PhizKid
  • Start date

Homework Statement

f'(u) = 1 / (1 + u^3)
g(x) = f(x^2)
Find g'(x) and g'(2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So the derivative of function f at u is: 1 / (1 + u^3)
That means g'(x) would be f'(x^2), but to find the general derivative of f at u is 1 / (1 + u^3) so can I just plug in x^2 for u so I get: 1 / (1 + x^6) ?

Answers and Replies

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Your subject has nothing to do with this problem. There are no antiderivatives here. You need to use the chain rule to compute g'(x). It is NOT true that g'(x) = f'(x^2).

Don't you need to find f(u) which would be going backwards from 1 / (1 + u^3), which is an antiderivative?

And why is g'(x) != f'(x^2)? I just took the derivative of both functions on each side with respect to x

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Don't you need to find f(u) which would be going backwards from 1 / (1 + u^3), which is an antiderivative?

And why is g'(x) != f'(x^2)? I just took the derivative of both functions on each side with respect to x
No, you don't need to find f(u). Regarding why g'(x) != f'(x^2), please apply the chain rule to differentiate both sides of g(x) = f(x^2).

We learned the Chain Rule but not sure how to apply it here. My best guess would be:

g'(x) = f'(x) * 2x

We learned the Chain Rule but not sure how to apply it here. My best guess would be:

g'(x) = f'(x) * 2x
Since g(x) = f(x2), then g'(x) = f'(x2) * 2x

Sorry, that's what I meant. I write it down on paper but I'm not very good at typing

So for g'(x) I have f'(x^2) * 2x
Do I have to somehow use f'(u) = 1 / (1 + u^3) in order to find the values for 'x' for f'(x^2) * 2x ? Do I need to use the Chain Rule again? If so, how would I apply it in this situation?

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Sorry, that's what I meant. I write it down on paper but I'm not very good at typing

So for g'(x) I have f'(x^2) * 2x
Do I have to somehow use f'(u) = 1 / (1 + u^3) in order to find the values for 'x' for f'(x^2) * 2x ? Do I need to use the Chain Rule again? If so, how would I apply it in this situation?
You don't need to use the chain rule again. If f'(u) = 1/(1 + u^3) then what is f'(x^2)? Just substitute u = x^2. You are simply evaluating the function defined by f'(u) = 1/(1 + u^3) at the particular value u = x^2.

Last edited:
How do you know that u = x^2 ?

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
How do you know that u = x^2 ?
What does f'(x^2) mean? It means "evaluate the function f' at x^2." We have a formula for f'(u), i.e. a formula to "evaluate the function f' at u." If I want to evaluate f'(5), then I replace u with 5. If I want to evaluate f'(x^2), then I replace u with x^2.