Finding antiderivative without integration

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f'(u) = 1 / (1 + u^3)
    g(x) = f(x^2)
    Find g'(x) and g'(2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So the derivative of function f at u is: 1 / (1 + u^3)
    That means g'(x) would be f'(x^2), but to find the general derivative of f at u is 1 / (1 + u^3) so can I just plug in x^2 for u so I get: 1 / (1 + x^6) ?

2. jcsd
  3. jbunniii

jbunniii 3,347
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your subject has nothing to do with this problem. There are no antiderivatives here. You need to use the chain rule to compute g'(x). It is NOT true that g'(x) = f'(x^2).

4. Don't you need to find f(u) which would be going backwards from 1 / (1 + u^3), which is an antiderivative?

And why is g'(x) != f'(x^2)? I just took the derivative of both functions on each side with respect to x

5. jbunniii

jbunniii 3,347
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you don't need to find f(u). Regarding why g'(x) != f'(x^2), please apply the chain rule to differentiate both sides of g(x) = f(x^2).

6. We learned the Chain Rule but not sure how to apply it here. My best guess would be:

g'(x) = f'(x) * 2x

7. Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Since g(x) = f(x2), then g'(x) = f'(x2) * 2x

8. Sorry, that's what I meant. I write it down on paper but I'm not very good at typing

So for g'(x) I have f'(x^2) * 2x
    Do I have to somehow use f'(u) = 1 / (1 + u^3) in order to find the values for 'x' for f'(x^2) * 2x ? Do I need to use the Chain Rule again? If so, how would I apply it in this situation?

9. jbunniii

jbunniii 3,347
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't need to use the chain rule again. If f'(u) = 1/(1 + u^3) then what is f'(x^2)? Just substitute u = x^2. You are simply evaluating the function defined by f'(u) = 1/(1 + u^3) at the particular value u = x^2.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  10. How do you know that u = x^2 ?

11. jbunniii

jbunniii 3,347
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does f'(x^2) mean? It means "evaluate the function f' at x^2." We have a formula for f'(u), i.e. a formula to "evaluate the function f' at u." If I want to evaluate f'(5), then I replace u with 5. If I want to evaluate f'(x^2), then I replace u with x^2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook