Arc length of parametric curve x = t³, y = t² from t = 0 to 4

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
Stratosphere
Messages
373
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the length of
[tex]\ x =t^{3}[/tex]
[tex]\ y =t^{2}[/tex]
0 [tex]\leq[/tex]t[tex]\leq[/tex] 4


Homework Equations


I would write the formula for the arc length but I don't know how to make a definite integral.


The Attempt at a Solution


I have the whole thing set up and I'm ready to integrate but I seem to have forgotten how to integrate [tex]\int\ \sqrt{9t^{4}+2t^{2}}dt[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
From the integral you set up, first factor t^2, then it will become t by square root. After that, use trigonometric substitution. 3t=sqrt(2)tan(theta), 3dt=sqrt(2)sec^2(theta), then substitute them to the integral
 
Unfortunately I don't follow you, after I factor out the t^2 I get
[tex]\int\sqrt{t^{2}(9t^{2}+2)}[/tex] after that I don't know what your trying to say.
 
Bring the t2 factor out of the radical so that the integrand becomes
[tex]t\sqrt{9t^2 + 2}[/tex].

Also, it is much simpler to evaluate this integral using an ordinary substitution instead of the more complicated trig substitution that darkmagic suggested.
 
I hate to ask again but I think I rushed through U-substitution to fast. I don't see anything that's the derivative of the otherthing so I'm not sure what to pick for U.
 
Stratosphere said:
I hate to ask again but I think I rushed through U-substitution to fast. I don't see anything that's the derivative of the otherthing so I'm not sure what to pick for U.

Recall the chain rule: If f is a function of g and g is a function of t, and we define h(t) = f(g(t)), then h'(t) = f'(g(t))g'(t).
What is the derivative of the inside of that radicand in your integral? Can you modify the outside of the integral so that the integrand resembles a chain rule?
 
Stratosphere said:
I hate to ask again but I think I rushed through U-substitution to fast. I don't see anything that's the derivative of the otherthing so I'm not sure what to pick for U.
Then you should review this technique. For your problem, let u = 9t2 + 2. Then du = ______ dt ?
 
I got the answer to be

[tex]\frac{(9t^{3}+2)^{3/2}}{18}[/tex]

is this right?
 
Stratosphere said:
I got the answer to be

[tex]\frac{(9t^{3}+2)^{3/2}}{18}[/tex]

is this right?
It's easy enough to check for yourself. Just differentiate what you have and if it's correct, you should get the integrand you started with.

I will say, though, that it appears you have made an error in your integration. Also, when you do get the correct antiderivative, you will still need to evaluate it at 4 and at 0 -- you're working with a definite integral, so you should get a number for your arc length.

Show us how you did the substitution and the work after that, and we'll help you out.
 
Here are my steps

[tex]\ \int_{0}^{4} t\sqrt{9t^2 + 2}~dt[/tex]

[tex]\ \frac{1}{18}\int 18t\sqrt{9t^2 + 2}~dt[/tex]

[tex]\ u=9t^2 + 2[/tex]
[tex]\ du=18t[/tex]

[tex]\ \frac{1}{18} \int (u)^{1/2} du[/tex]
[tex]\ \frac{1}{18} \frac{(9t^{2}+2)^{3/2}}{3/2}[/tex]

I can't see where I went wrong.
 
Last edited:
Stratosphere said:
Here are my steps

[tex]\ \int_{0}^{4} t\sqrt{9t^2 + 2}~dt[/tex]

[tex]\ \frac{1}{18}\int 18t\sqrt{9t^2 + 2}~dt[/tex]

[tex]\ u=9t^2 + 2[/tex]
[tex]\ du=18t[/tex]
The last line should be du = 18t dt. If you get in the habit of omitting this differential, it can come back around and bite you in more complicated integrals.
Stratosphere said:
[tex]\ \frac{1}{18} \int (u)^{1/2} du[/tex]
[tex]\ \frac{1}{18} \frac{(9t^{2}+2)^{3/2}}{3/2}[/tex]
Now all you need to do to finish this is to evaluate your antiderivative at the two endpoints, 0 and 4.

I can't see where I went wrong.
That's slightly different from what you had in post #9. If you look closely, you should see the difference.

To continue where you left off, and doing a little simplification

[tex]\ \int_{0}^{4} t\sqrt{9t^2 + 2}~dt[/tex]
(using your substitution and then undoing the substitution)
[tex]\ = \ \frac{1}{27} ~(9t^{2}+2)^{3/2}\vert_0^4[/tex]
Now, just evaluate this antiderivative at 4 and at 0 and subtract.