Finding area in polar coordinates

In summary, the problem asks to find the area of the region enclosed by the graph r=4cos3[theta]. Using the formula A= [integral] (1/2)r^2 d[theta], the attempt at a solution involved substituting (cos^2)Q = (1/2)(1+cos2Q) and integrating, but the correct answer is 4[pi]. Another question about finding the area between two irregular curves was also asked.
raincheck

Homework Statement

"Find the area of the region described: The region that is enclosed by the rose r=4cos3[theta]"

Homework Equations

A= [integral] (1/2)r^2 d[theta]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll use Q as [theta]..

I'm not really sure, but I set up (1/2) [integral] (16(cos^2)3Q) dQ

.. then I thought we were supposed to use the identity (cos^2)Q = (1/2)(1+cos2Q), but every time I substitute this in and integrate, I get 8[pi] instead of 4[pi], the correct answer. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you so much :]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I get 8pi as well.

hmmm, I asked someone else and they got 8pi too...

Well I had one more question... if I were finding the area between
r = sqrt[cos2(theta)] and
r = 2cos(theta)

do I basically do the same thing as finding the area between two regular curves? Each time I try it, I come up with zeros and I feel like that can't be right :[

That's a really weird graph intersection. Where did you get that question from?

You don't say anything about what limits of integration you used. [itex]\theta[/itex] going from 0 to what traces that figure exactly once?

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional coordinate system using a distance (r) from the origin and an angle (θ) from a reference direction.

2. How is area calculated in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, the area of a region is calculated by integrating the function r(θ) over the desired interval for θ. This is similar to calculating area under a curve in rectangular coordinates.

3. Can any shape be represented using polar coordinates?

Yes, any shape that can be represented in rectangular coordinates can also be represented in polar coordinates. However, some shapes may have simpler equations or more straightforward calculations in one coordinate system over the other.

4. What is the relationship between polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates are two different ways of representing points in a two-dimensional coordinate system. Each point in polar coordinates has a unique representation in Cartesian coordinates, and vice versa.

5. Are there any real-world applications of polar coordinates?

Yes, polar coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering for representing and solving problems involving circular and rotational motion, such as in satellite orbits or the movement of objects on a spinning disk.