Finding Area Under Curve: Rectangles vs Trapezia

In summary, two numerical methods for finding the area under a curve are the trapezium rule and the rectangle rule. The rectangle rule has two forms, one using the height at the midpoint and one using the height of the vertex on the left. While the trapezium rule is generally considered to be a first order approximation and the rectangle rule a zeroth order approximation, there may be cases where the rectangle rule is more effective. However, this is dependent on the curve being integrated and requires an examination of the error terms. Ultimately, the simpler method is often taught for ease of learning.
whatisreality
Two numerical methods for finding the area under a curve are the trapezium rule, where the area is split into trapezia, and the rectangle rule where you split into rectangles. The rectangle rule has two forms, one where you take the height at the midpoint and one where you take the height of the vertex on the left.

Given the area is split into the same number of smaller shapes, is there ever going to be a case when the rectangles are better than trapezia? I can't think of one! But there must be a case where rectangles are better, or why bother learning the method?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Rectangle - height in middle could be better than trapezium.

Likes whatisreality
mathman said:
Rectangle - height in middle could be better than trapezium.
Even if the height in the middle is better, won't the points on either side negate that?

whatisreality said:
Two numerical methods for finding the area under a curve are the trapezium rule, where the area is split into trapezia, and the rectangle rule where you split into rectangles. The rectangle rule has two forms, one where you take the height at the midpoint and one where you take the height of the vertex on the left.

Given the area is split into the same number of smaller shapes, is there ever going to be a case when the rectangles are better than trapezia? I can't think of one! But there must be a case where rectangles are better, or why bother learning the method?
I don't understand mathman's reply.
To me rectangle is zero'th order and trapezium is first order approximation to the function being integrated. Check the error analysis sections in the links.

I suppose one can concoct a pathological case where (by accident) the simpler method comes out better, but why bother ?

And 'learning' the method is sensible, because it's so evident and uncomplicated.

Likes whatisreality
Simple example: [itex]\int_0^1 x^2dx = 1/3.[/itex] One interval. Trapezium est. = 1/2, midpoint est. = 1/4. Midpoint slightly better.

Likes whatisreality
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a little more complicated mathematically. I'd wager different types of curves might have an effect on the ranking of which is the most effective method. I was looking at the error analysis of numerical analysis formulas, and it looks like to answer your question (even holding the widths of the divisions the same across methods) requires an examination of the curve as well as the method.

Of course, sometimes less effective is taught because it's simpler, and simpler is easier to learn.

Here seems to be comparison of error terms between rectangular and trapezoidal (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton–Cotes_formulas). Look under the section labeled Open Newton-Cotes Formulae in the last column.

Likes whatisreality

1. What is the difference between using rectangles and trapezia to find the area under a curve?

The main difference between using rectangles and trapezia is the shape of the approximation used to calculate the area under the curve. Rectangles use rectangles with a fixed width and height, while trapezia use trapezoids with varying widths and heights to better approximate the curve. This can result in a more accurate calculation of the area.

2. Which method is more accurate when finding the area under a curve?

In general, using trapezia is more accurate when finding the area under a curve. This is because trapezia use a more flexible shape to approximate the curve, resulting in a closer estimation of the actual area. Rectangles, on the other hand, can underestimate or overestimate the area depending on the shape of the curve.

3. How do you determine the number of rectangles or trapezia to use when calculating the area under a curve?

The number of rectangles or trapezia used to approximate the area under a curve depends on the level of accuracy desired. Generally, the more rectangles or trapezia used, the more accurate the calculation will be. However, using too many can also result in a time-consuming process. It is important to strike a balance between accuracy and efficiency when determining the number of shapes to use.

4. Can you use both rectangles and trapezia together to find the area under a curve?

Yes, it is possible to use a combination of rectangles and trapezia to calculate the area under a curve. This is known as the composite trapezoidal rule and involves dividing the curve into smaller sections and using trapezia for some sections and rectangles for others. This method can provide a more accurate calculation of the area compared to using just one type of shape.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the area under a curve using rectangles and trapezia?

Finding the area under a curve using rectangles and trapezia has many practical applications. For example, it can be used in engineering to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects. In finance, it can be used to estimate the total profit or loss of an investment over time. In physics, it can be used to calculate the work done by a varying force. These are just a few examples of the many real-world applications of this concept.