How do I find horizontal asymptotes for a curve?

• Thread starter genevievelily
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, you are supposed to find limits to positive and negative infinity by using an intuitive argument and by using the limit given by \lim_{x\to -\infty} f(x) = \lim_{x\to \infty} f(-x).
genevievelily
I am confused with solving for horizontal asymptotes. I know you are supposed to find limits to positive and negative infinity. I am able to solve for positive infinity but how are you supposed to do it for negative infinity, since you are not actually plugging in a particular value. This problem sounds like a silly question but it's really confusing me.

An example would be (4x)/(((x^4)+1)^(1/4))

I know the limit at positive infinity is 4, but why is it -4 at negative infinity?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard interpretation of a limit as x approaches negative infinity is that we examine the behavior of the function for extremely negative, but finite, values of x. Your book will have the rigorous definition. As with any limit, we try to factor and manipulate the expression we have until we find a familiar limit or collection of limits. However, less rigorously, we can usually see what happens by using a sample extremely negative value. It is important to choose a value that is so large in absolute magnitude that none of the numbers involved in the function's expression are anywhere close to it.
For example, the expression x^4 + 1 is very close to simply being x^4 when x is a very negative number, such as x = -(10^100). That +1 may as well be invisible (Think of what value a finite precision calculator or measurement would show). That makes the denominator very close to being simply |x|. It is positive because an even power of any number is positive. In turn, this makes your fraction very close to 4x/|x|. Since x is negative, x/|x| = -1, so we have a number very close to 4*(-1) = -4. This series of deductions can of course be made rigorous with the proper algebraic manipulation of the original expression, but it is a good idea to practice making inferences by using approximations first.

Last edited:
gene, the intuitive argument you can use on x going to infinity and minus infinity will be the same and is the best way to solve these problems (see slider's post for a full explanation). Another option however is to use
[tex] \lim_{x\to -\infty} f(x) = \lim_{x\to \infty} f(-x) [/tex]

which turns it into a limit you claim you know how to calculate. This isn't the best simply because it is a crutch to help you solve problems that you don't fully understand.

ok I think I figured it out thanks!

1. What is an asymptote?

An asymptote is a line that a curve approaches, but never touches. It can be thought of as the limit of the curve as it extends to infinity.

2. How do you find an asymptote to a curve?

There are several methods for finding asymptotes to a curve, depending on the type of curve. For rational functions, you can use long division to determine the equation of the asymptote. For exponential or logarithmic functions, you can use the properties of their graphs to identify asymptotes. In general, you can also use limits to determine the behavior of a curve near its endpoints and at infinity.

3. What is the difference between a horizontal and vertical asymptote?

A horizontal asymptote is a line that the curve approaches as the x-values increase or decrease without bound. A vertical asymptote is a line that the curve approaches as the x-value approaches a specific value. Horizontal asymptotes are typically found for rational functions, while vertical asymptotes are more common for exponential and logarithmic functions.

4. Can a curve have multiple asymptotes?

Yes, a curve can have multiple asymptotes. This is common for rational functions, which can have both horizontal and vertical asymptotes. For example, a rational function may have one horizontal asymptote and two vertical asymptotes.

5. How do asymptotes affect the behavior of a curve?

Asymptotes can help us understand the behavior of a curve near its endpoints and at infinity. They can also help us identify key features of the curve, such as its domain and range. In some cases, asymptotes can also be used to sketch the graph of a curve, especially when combined with other tools such as transformations and intercepts.